The best-selling book, 50 Shades of Grey has a way of polarizing readers: either you love it or you hate it.
However, the musical parody, first performed Off-Broadway and in Las Vegas, currently running in Manila, will have everyone agreeing to have a hearty laugh.
Raunchy, racy, suggestive, sexy, the play is all of these and more.
In “approximately 69 minutes” (not including the 10-minute intermission), the cast composed of foreign and local members, manage to tickle and titillate audiences that they insist must be above 18 years old and up for some irreverent humor.
The story begins with three lonely housewives, members of a book club, who decide to read and discuss the controversial novel by E. L. James.
Enter the characters of two hot men and sexy woman who usher in the engaging story of Anastacia Steele and Christian Grey.
The parody involve most of the same central characters as the book and poke fun at how BDSM (Bondage, Dominance and Submission, Sadism and Masochism) have become attractive qualities in a relationship. The song melodies are catchy and the lyrics witty.
A surprise is the character of Christian who is the knight in shining armor in the eyes of Ana.
There are many sexy gyrations and sexual innuendos throughout the play, by everyone from the “awakened” housewives to Ana herself.
Basically, it is a laugh-out-loud romp that does not require you to even have read the book/s to appreciate the humor.
Here are 9 naughty things about 50 Shades! The Musical Parody:
- Two hot, buff, and very good-looking lead actors, Chris Hodgson and Isaac Saleh are topless for almost the entire show. Yes—abs-terrific!!!
- Simulated bedroom action by Christian Grey on Anastacia (played alternately by our very own Karel Marquez) to hot hilarity. Ladies, legs in the air!
- Simulated action down there on one of the “lonely housewives” reading the book by one of the abovementioned topless hotties.
- A particularly racy scene between Katherine Kavanagh and Elliot Grey right in the audience area! Now that’s how you do audience participation!
- Some of the racy lines are delivered in Tagalog, which makes it even more hilarious. Find out what: “Bababa ka ba?” refers to. But what really brought the house down was when the Tagalog term for the male private part is spoken with an accent.
- Bituin Escalante, as one of the lonely housewives, seduces an audience member with the promise of Master Showman episodes. Bituin also shocks everyone by carrying a d*ldo during the curtain call!
- George Schulze exiting scenes to tango music. Because, well, tango and Latin men are sexy.
- Femme fatale Casey Rogers, clad in hot red lingerie, walks onstage every time oozing with confidence and sex appeal. Yes, it’s got something for the menfolk, too.
- Acrobatics and grinding—um, dancing—by the very nimble male members of the cast. The girls can move very well, too, btw. Yes, shake it!
50 Shades! The Musical Parody runs until March 1, 2016 at the Carlos P. Romulo Auditorium, RCBC Plaza, Makati City.