Hasmine Killip of Pamilya Ordinaryo emerged as the Best Actress of the 2016 Cinemalaya Independent Film Festival. The young actress, who played a street urchin in the drama film, was able to beat Nora Aunor and Judy Ann Santos in this tightly fought category.
Winners of the 12th edition of Cinemalaya were announced earlier tonight, August 14, 2016 during the awards night held at the CCP Tanghalang Nicanor Abelardo (Main Theater).
With the theme “Break the Surface, this year’s Cinemalaya Festival boasted of 19 new digital films in competition.
In the full length feature, nine films were in competition, namely: Ang Bagong Pamilya Ni Ponching by Inna Miren Salazar and Dos Ocampo, Dagsin by Atom Magadia, Hiblang Abo by Ralston Jover, I America by Ivan Andrew Payawal, Kusina by David Corpuz and Cenon Palomares, Lando at Bugoy by Vic Acedillo, Jr., Mercury Is Mine by Jason Paul Laxamana, Pamilya Ordinaryo by Eduardo Roy, Jr. and Tuos by Derick Cabrido.
Ten entries competed in the Short Feature category. These were: Ang Hapon Ni Nanding (Nanding’s Afternoons) by Rommel Tolentino; Ang Maangas, Ang Marikit at Ang Makata by Jose Ibarra Guballa; Bugtaw by Noah Del Rosario; Butas by Richard Cawed; Fish Out Of Water by Mon A.L. Garilao; Forever Natin by Cyrus Valdez; Get Certified by Isaias Herrera Zantua; Mansyong Papel by Ogos Aznar; Nakauwi Na by John Relano, Patrick Baleros and Luis Hidalgo; and Pektus by Isabel Quesada.
The Best Film winner of the short film category received a cash prize of P150,000 while all winners will receive the Balanghai trophy.
Awards in the full length category were given for Best Sound, Best Musical Score, Best Production Design, Best Cinematography, Best Screenplay, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Director, Audience Choice, Best Film, NETPAC Prize, and the Special Jury Prize.
The winner of the Best Film received a cash award of P350,000 and the Balanghai trophy.
Here is the list of Cinemalaya 2016 winners:
A. SHORT FEATURE CATEGORY
1. Best Screenplay: Pektus
2. Best Direction: Fish Out of Water
3. Special Jury Prize: Fish Out of Water
4. Best Short Film: Pektus
5. NETPAC Prize winner: Ang Maangas, Ang Marikit at Ang Makata
B. FULL-LENGTH CATEGORY
1. Best Sound: Tuos
2. Best Original Music Score: Tuos
3. Best Editing: Pamilya Ordinaryo
4. Best Production Design: Tuos
5. Best Cinematography: Tuos
6. Best Screenplay: Mercury is Mine
7. Best Performance of a Supporting Actor: Hiblang Abo ensemble cast (Jun Urbano, Leo Rialp, Nanding Josef and Lou Veloso)
8. Best Performance of a Supporting Actress:
Lollie Mara of Ang Bagong Pamilya ni Ponching
Elizabeth Oropesa of I America
9. Best Direction: Eduardo Roy for Pamilya Ordinaryo
10. Best Performance of an Actor:
Tommy Abuel of Dagsin
11. Best Performance of an Actress:
Hasmine Killip of Pamilya Ordinaryo
12. Special Jury Prize: Mercury is Mine
13. Best Film: Pamilya Ordinaryo
14. NETPAC Prize winner: Pamilya Ordinaryo
C. Audience Choice Award
Short film: Forever Natin
Full-length entry: Tuos