When the rock station NU 107 hatched its first Rock Awards way back in 1994, it seemed like an idea way ahead of its time. But on hindsight, the musical climate was already ripe for an event to honor Pinoy rock n' roll.
Trend changes and a couple of new faces later, the NU Rock Awards will stage the 14th installment of its highly anticipated affair on November 30 at the World Trade Center, Pasay City.
NU 107 station manager, Cris Hermosisima, fondly recalled that the first rock awards was more of like a close-knit family celebration of artists and musicians in the face of alternative music's commercial success after years of obscurity.
"But throughout the years the rock awards has evolved and become a big community of musicians and fans," Cris proudly told PEP (Philippine Entertainment Portal) last November 8 at their press conference held in Alchemy Bar, Julia Vargas Avenue, Pasig City.
The articulate station executive cited loyalty as the strongest determining factor on why NU 107 continues to remain steadfast despite the shifting taste of the public when it comes to music.
"From day one hindi
kami nag-reformat. We've always been a rock station and kids who listened to us
before still listen to that kind of music. It was actually passed on to
generations, plus the fact that we never wavered in terms of reaching out and
giving them what they want, and supporting the bands and giving them exposure," he explained.
TALENT MORE THAN PORMA. The NU 107 Rock Awards is not spared from harmful intrigue. Every now and then, some fans would question the results of the official tally and speak out in support of their favorite band or artist.
Resident DJ and The Dawn guitarist Francis Reyes defended the criteria being used by the station in arriving at a decision. Although fan votes matter immensely, musicianship and creativity remain crucial in coming up with the final list.
"It's not a popularity contest," said Reyes, "and not merely [paying] lip service, saying, ‘Uy, sikat, sige bigyan natin ng award. It's not really about those things because first and foremost we're talking here of talent and artistry, so, that would still carry the weight."
Cris, on the other hand, attributed the disagreement to the simple fact that some people or critics sometimes fail to take note of the rules of the competition.
"They just miss on some details but when you explain it to them they understand. But fortunately, we never encountered any huge problems about people or artists questioning the results or the credibility of the awards," said Cris as he heaved a sigh of relief.
But such quarrels are minor compared to the positive feedback generated by the yearly event. "As usual, it's gonna be great," grinned Francis, talking about the past and the upcoming rock awards.
The legendary guitarist-turned-DJ followed up his previous statement with a short yet convincing come-on: "We'll be having a party."
Rock n' roll!
Here is the list of nominees for the 14th NU Rock Awards:
BEST NEW ARTIST:
3. Giniling Festival
6. Wake Up Your Seatmate
VOCALIST OF THE YEAR:
1. Bamboo Mañalac of Bamboo
2. Miggy Chavez of Chicosci
3. Steve Badiola of Typecast
4. Ebe Dancel of Sugarfree
5. Kat Agarrado of Sinosikat?
6. Marc Abaya of Kjwan
GUITARIST OF THE YEAR:
1. Mong Alcaraz of Chicosci
2. Ira Cruz of Bamboo
3. Mike Elgar of Rivermaya
4. Boogie Romero of Kjwan
5. Steve Badiola of Typecast
6. Junji Lerma of Radioactive Sago Project
BASSIST OF THE YEAR:
1. Nathan Azarcon of Bamboo
2. Carlos Calderon of Chicosci
3. Japs Sergio of Rivermaya
4. Francis De Veyra of Radioactive Sago Project
5. Ivan Garcia of Hilera
DRUMMER OF THE YEAR:
1. Vic Mercado of Bamboo
2. Melvin Macatiag of Typecast
3. Joel Salvador of Chicosci
4. Mark Escueta of Rivermaya
5. Chris Cantada of Spongcola
BEST LIVE ACT:
5. Radioactive Sago Project
6. Jeepney Joyride
IN THE RAW AWARD:
2. Teenage Hero
SONG OF THE YEAR:
1. "WILL YOU EVER LEARN" by Typecast
2. "CHICOSCI VAMPIRE SOCIAL CLUB" by Chicosci
3. "TATSULOK" by Bamboo
4. "SALA" by Pupil
5. "TURNING MY SAFETY OFF" by Sinosikat?
6. "SUNDO" by Imago
7. "DVD X" by Sandwich
ARTIST OF THE YEAR:
6. Radioactive Sago Project
ALBUM OF THE YEAR:
1. "WE STAND ALONE TOGETHER" by Bamboo
2. "EVERY MOSS AND COBWEB" by Typecast
3. "TANGINA MO ANG DAMING NAGUGUTOM SA MUNDO FASHIONISTA KA PA RIN" by Radioactive Sago Project
4. "TALA-ARAWAN" by Sugarfree
5. "MOONLANE GARDENS" by Orange & Lemons
6. "2STEPMARV" by Kjwan
BEST ALBUM PACKAGING:
1. Inksurge.com for Twilight of Hale
2. Paolo Lim for Isang Ugat, Isang Dugo of Rivermaya
3. Sarah Gaugler and Clementine for Moonlane Gardens of Orange & Lemons
4. Inksurge.com for Tala-arawan of Sugarfree
PRODUCER OF THE YEAR
1. Bamboo and Angee Rozul for We Stand Alone Together of Bamboo
2. Typecast for Every Moss And Cobweb by Typecast
3. Lourd and Francis De Veyra for Tangina Mo Ang Dami Nagugutom Sa Mundo Fashionista Ka Pa Rin by Radioactive Sago Project
4. Robert Javier and Jonathan Ong for Moonlane Gardens by Orange & Lemons
5. Robin Rivera for Tala-arawan by Sugarfree
6. Angee Rozul and Kjwan for 2step Marv of Kjwan
BEST MUSIC VIDEO
1. "DVD-X" of Sandwich (Directed by Marie Jamora)
2. "FRAILTY'' of Urbandub (Directed by Pancho Esguerra and Bluerain Media)
3. "KUNG AYAW MO NA SA AKIN" by Sugarfree (Directed by Marie Jamora)
4. "LOVETEAM" of Itchyworms (Directed by Marie Jamora)
5. "PROBINSYANA" of Bamboo (Directed by Pancho Esguerra)
6. "SUNDO" of Imago (Directed by Marie Jamora)
7. "WILL YOU EVER LEARN" of Typecast (Directed by Pedring Lopez)