For the past four years, Kelly Osbourne has been a mainstay in Fashion Police, a Hollywood show pioneered by the late great Joan Rivers and known for its sarcastic, humorous commentary about celebrity fashion.
Last February 25, it was reported that Kelly threatened to quit Fashion Police when her co-host Giuliana Rancic made an offensive remark about the dreadlocks of Zendaya Coleman at the Oscars.
(Read related article: Kelly Obsourne threatens to quit Fashion Police)
Kelly reacted strongly when Giuliana said that Zendaya’s hair at the Oscars’ red carpet looked like it smelt of patchouli oil or "weed."
On February 27, Kelly left the show allegedly because she found the comment foul and offensive as Zendaya is her friend. Her departure stunned the viewing public not only in the United States but also those worldwide.
Who's Kelly Osbourne, you ask? As the host of Fashion Police, the 30-year-old star has been critiquing the fashion of Hollywood's biggest names.
Why was her departure from the show a big deal?
- The Hollywood commentary show Fashion Police is thought to be a sinking ship with the death of its iconic pioneer Joan Rivers. It cannot afford to lose another pivotal crew who is among those who steer its sails. Furthermore, in a report by TMZ, staffers of the show are said to feel that Giuliana and Kelly’s battle is tearing down Joan Rivers’ legacy. Producers are said to be worried that after Kelly’s exit, Giuliana may be more silent on the show for fear of further backlash, and that the other hosts will follow suit, making it no longer the sassy show full of sarcastic humor that it used to be.
- With the passing away of Joan, Kelly is the show’s de facto fashion princess. She's very knowledgeable when it comes to fashion trends, labels and designers. Giuliana may have more than several times fumbled on pronouncing designer's names, but Kelly can never be accused of such a blunder. Her expertise on this aspect may be because she either personally knows these people or she hoards these designers’ wares in her walk-in closet. Talk about authority!
- Kelly is the voice of reason, cleverly deciphering why a look doesn't suit a particular celebrity and what he/she should do about it, yet still maintaining a sweet, almost shy and apologetic way of sending her message across said celebrity, because these are, after all, mostly her friends. She's the antithesis of Joan's sharp tongued wit.
- She gives eccentric chic realness to the viewers. Katy Perry and Nicole Richie may have also rocked the purple hair trend, but she made it her own. She never went with any other color even after her predecessors have long moved on to another hair hue.
- She's very close to Joan, who was the lifeblood of Fashion Police. You cannot look at Kelly without being reminded of Joan. Their sweetness on the set looks too genuine to be scripted. Melissa Rivers, Joan’s daughter, could only be jealous!