The supposed meeting set by the Movie and Television Review Classification Board (MTRCB) for both Wowowee host Willie Revillame and Eat Bulaga's Joey de Leon did not push through yesterday, August 31.
In an interview with TV Patrol World, MTRCB Chair Consoliza Laguardia expressed her concern on the worsening feud between the two hosts and its possible effect on the viewers and local television as a whole.
"Ina-idolize sila, pareho naman silang sikat, hindi ba? So they should be good role models to their audience, lalo na yung sa mga TFC, sa mga taga-ibang bansa. And when they pull down themselves, they're also pulling down their shows," said Laguardia to ABS-CBN's Mario Dumaual.
According to the MTRCB head, the intended face-to-face meeting was a personal initiative to fix the misunderstanding before it goes out of hand, and not because a suspension was already in the offing. But Laguardia warned Joey and Willie that such scenario would most likely transpire once a formal complaint arrive at her desk.
"It could, kung meron ngang magpa-file ng formal complaint na pareho nga silang nagtitirahan. Kaya nga for both their sakes, talagang gusto ko na silang kausapin para hindi na humantong sa ganun. Borderline din, e. Ide-determine kung sakali man. Kaya nga para huwag na humantong dun, kinu-call ko na ‘yong dalawa," she explained further.
Once again, Laguardia stressed that MTRCB is not raring to get the heads of Joey and Willie as well as their respective shows. Rather, the organization was more keen on settling things in an amiable manner to avoid additional issues.
"It's not healthy anymore. Hindi ‘yan dahil sa ratings o ano, e. Malasakit na lang ‘to, e. Kumbaga, wala naman kaming pasok ngayon, pumasok ako for them. And I hope makita rin nila ‘tong dalawa na pumasok ako dito para lang sa kanilang dalawa."
Incidentally, both men had been perennial visitors of the MTRCB's office because of several violations and offenses they committed in the past, but Laguardia made it clear that MTRCB's intent is to mediate: "I always have the best interest of both of them. Dahil nakita ko naman sila parehong nag-reform, e."
WILLIE ACCEPTS INVITATION. A few hours after the TV Patrol World interview, Wowowee host Willie Revillame along with director Edgar Mortiz and producer Cynthia Jordan arrived at the MTRCB office to honor Laguardia's request.
Joey de Leon, as what was initially reported, however failed to show up due to schedule conflict.
Willie declined talking to the press upon arrival, and immediately proceeded to Laguardia's office for a closed-door meeting.
MANAGEMENT'S SIDE: Meanwhile, ABS-CBN Head for TV Production Cory Vidanes finally spoke about the controversy that is threatening to reach the Senate halls.
"Nung August 18 po, we launched a new game segment in the program Wowowee entitled 'Wilyonaryo.' On the next day of launch, we discovered a design flaw. Nagkaroon po ng dalawang number sa isang wheel. The next day po, we immediately corrected it," Vidanes commented to ABS-CBN reporter Paul Henson last Thursday, August 30.
The network executive was honest enough to admit that there was indeed an error, but argued that it was an honest mistake and such occurrence is only natural especially for debuting segments.
"Gusto po naming i-assure kayo na wala kaming intensyon na mandaya o manloko ng manonood namin. Sa game shows po kasi, especially in its initial stages, merong mga glitches o mga pagkakamaling nangyayari. Pero po, we have never intended to fool our public," she added.
Vidanes assured that the Kapamilya network will always abide by its commitment to entertain its viewers worldwide as well as help those who are in need.
"Rest assured po that in ABS-CBN, we are always guided by our values of honesty and integrity. Andito po kami para magpasaya ng aming televiewers, na magpasaya ng Pilipino sa buong mundo, magbigay ng katuparan sa mga pangarap," Vidanes said in closing.