A few weeks before the highly-anticipated concert of Martin Nievera and Pops Fernandez, a mild muddle became the topic of some showbiz denizens: Is GMA-7 really the media partner of Missing You, which is slated to happen at the Big Dome on February 6?
In an article published by PEP (Philippine Entertainment Portal) last December 25, producer Jomari Yllana happily announced that GMA-7 already agreed to be the concert's media partner.
He said, "Nagpapasalamat din ako sa media partner namin, ang GMA Network, dahil binigyan nila kami ng magandang deal. Hindi lang basta magiging isang special post-Valentine presentation ang Missing You concert kundi pinayagan nila kaming maging block timer ng network. That means, puwede kaming kumuha ng aming advertisers. At puwede ring mag-promote sina Pops at Martin sa mga shows ng GMA-7."
But rumors of late hinted that the partnership may not materialize.
This issue was brought up during the presscon, held last January 16 at the 17th floor of GMA Network Center, with the executives of Kapuso network.
One of the showbiz editors said, "Kasi po, parang may lumabas na parang nagalit daw po ang ABS CBN..."
Ms. Wilma Galvante, GMA-7 senior vice president for entertainment, quickly replied, "Kanino nagalit? Sila yung artist, eh...Hindi naman sila yung producer, so, kung um-agree sila sa producer, at ito ang gustong gawin ng producer...I think they have contract with their producer."
The premise here: As the producer, Jomari is the one who has the final say, unless his contracts with Martin and Pops stipulate that the artists also have the upper hand in choosing partners.
GMA-7 WILL AIR THE CONCERT. At this point, the definite thing is that Missing You will be shown on GMA-7, and take the time slot of SNBO (Sunday Night Box Office).
Ms. Wilma told the press people, "They wrote a letter to our President, and signified interest to get block time... I think it would air in March or late February, so ano na yan, may agreement na kami with them."
But are the two artists going to promote the show in Channel 7 as well?
The lady boss of GMA-7 answered, "To promote the concert, I don't know, kasi kung sinasabi nilang exclusive sila sa kabila at hindi sila papayagang mag-promote dito nung concert nila live..."
When asked if the block time agreement was already signed by the parties involved, Ms. Wilma said: "Yeah, oo."
But even after she made such confirmation, the hum during the presscon was that Jomari's team was reportedly pressured by ABS-CBN to pull out the deal with GMA-7.
A source told PEP, "Noong una, ayaw ng ABS-CBN. ‘Tapos after ma-sold out yung first batch ng tickets, biglang gusto na nila."
To verify this, we sent a text message to Bong Osorio, corporate communications head of ABS-CBN, yesterday, January 17, and his reply: "No idea. Let me check, ha." At press time, no word from him yet.
PEP got in touch with Douglas Quijano, talent manager of Jomari Yllana, and he gave a one-liner regarding the issue: "Ang pinili niya, GMA."
We also made several attempts to contact Jomari last Friday, January 16, but his cell phone number was out of reach. Finally, PEP staffwriter Nerisa Almo was able to get hold of him last night at the Scents for Life event.
Jomari reaffirmed his statement last year, "Ang media partner namin is GMA-7."
He added, "But all is fair and every network is doing their best to help me. As a neophyte producer, I need all the help I can get, e. And when I approached them both, open-hand sila, e, in helping me out. And I feel very good and thankful and super nagpapasalamat ako sa kanila."