ELECTION WATCH: Lucy Torres-Gomez accepts challenge to replace her husband in Ormoc congressional race

by Erwin Santiago
Apr 30, 2010
"On my part, while running for Congress, or for any political position for that matter, is farthest from my mind, I have decided, after very careful thought, much prayer, and consultation with family members and people I hold in high esteem, to accept the request of my husband and heed the clamor of the people to challenge the leadership of the Codilla dynasty in the 4th District of Leyte," says Lucy Torres-Gomez in an official statement.

TV host Lucy Torres-Gomez has accepted the request of her husband, actor and TV host Richard Gomez, to be his replacement in the congressional race in the 4th district of Leyte for the May 10, 2010 elections. (CLICK HERE to read related story.)

"...I have decided, after very careful thought, much prayer, and consultation with family members and people I hold in high esteem, to accept the request of my husband and heed the clamor of the people to challenge the leadership of the Codilla dynasty in the 4th District of Leyte," said Lucy in an official statement sent to PEP (Philippine Entertainment Portal) earlier this afternoon, April 30.

The decision to put Lucy in the race came after the Commission on Elections (Comelec) disqualified Richard from running because he allegedly lacked the one-year residence qualification.

A complaint was filed by Bunaventura Juntilla, former barangay captain of Libertad, Ormoc, and the Comelec sided with him. Richard filed a motion for reconsideration but the case is still pending.

Continue reading below ↓

Here is Lucy's official statement in full:

"Even from the very start, Richard has enjoyed overwhelming support not only from the residents of Ormoc but also the whole 4th District of Leyte. The latest survey conducted from April 20-25, 2010 shows him leading in Ormoc by as much as 36% and overall by at least 27%.

"The opponent does not know how to fight fair and square. They have used all their money and their goons to try and dishearten my husband and his supporters from fighting on. Very early in the game, they have already acknowledged that the only way to beat Richard is to disqualify him. They will stop at nothing to do just that.

"As of today, the decision of the Comelec En Banc has yet to be promulgated. While Richard still has the option to appeal the En Banc decision in the Supreme Court, assuming it is unfavorable, he has decided as early as now to give way to me. Once the En Banc decision becomes final, we will move for substitution.

Continue reading below ↓

"It is easy to see that my husband is not running for power, position, or personal glory. What is most important to him is that change happens in Ormoc and the whole 4th District of Leyte. We have been sorely left behind in terms of progress and development. Having lived and grown up there for all of 23 years the Ormoc I now see is not the Ormoc I remember. The Ormoc I once knew was bright, beautiful, safe, peaceful, and full of promise. Sadly, that is no longer the case now.

"On my part, while running for Congress, or for any political position for that matter, is farthest from my mind, I have decided, after very careful thought, much prayer, and consultation with family members and people I hold in high esteem, to accept the request of my husband and heed the clamor of the people to challenge the leadership of the Codilla dynasty in the 4th District of Leyte.

Continue reading below ↓

"We live in a democracy, and the people have the right to choose their leader. By doing this we are giving them the chance to choose their leader by election, not by virtue of someone merely filing a case for disqualification.

"My husband will be beside me all the way in the same way that I am also always with him all the way. I hope and pray that the support they have thrown behind him in great measure they will also generously extend to me once I substitute for him."

Read Next
Featured
Latest Stories
Trending in Summit Media Network

Featured Searches:

Read the Story →
"On my part, while running for Congress, or for any political position for that matter, is farthest from my mind, I have decided, after very careful thought, much prayer, and consultation with family members and people I hold in high esteem, to accept the request of my husband and heed the clamor of the people to challenge the leadership of the Codilla dynasty in the 4th District of Leyte," says Lucy Torres-Gomez in an official statement.
  • This article was created by . Edits have been made by the PEP.ph editors.
    Poll

    View Results
    Total Votes: 12,184
  • 50%
  • View Results