For the second time, Baron Geisler is hailed as the Best Actor in Cinemalaya. Among all the lead actors of the five films competing in the Director's Showcase category, Baron Geisler of Donor stood out the most for this year's jury.
He was cited for "his very engaging performance of a misogynistic young man who drives his wife to commit untold sacrifices."
Directed by Mark Meily, Donor tells the story of a woman (portrayed by Meryll Soriano) who decides to marry an ailing foreigner so she can donate her kidney to him. Baron is cast as the live-in partner of Meryll's character.
This is Baron's second Best Actor trophy from Cinemalaya after winning for Jay (2008) wherein he portrayed a homosexual producer.
In an interview with PEP (Philippine Entertainment Portal) after the program, Baron expressed his gratitude for Cinemalaya's head of monitoring committee, Robbie Tan, for giving him the chance to appear in an entry this year.
How is this role different from his previous role in Jay?
"Lalaking-lalaki 'to. Macho yung character samantalang yung sa Jay, bading na producer. It's totally different pero pareho kaming enjoy."
How was it like working with Meryll in this film?
"Okay, walang problema. Puro kami take one lahat. Natakot ako kasi nagmamadali kami...three days lang ako nag-shoot, e."
Meryll won the Best Actress plum in the Directors Showcase category while their co-star in Donor, Karla Pambid, bagged the Best Supporting Actress trophy. The competition films of Cinemalaya 2010 will be screened at the University of the Philippines, Diliman, Film Institute (Cine Adarna) from July 20-23 and July 26-30. (CLICK HERE to view the screening schedule.)
BARON "BAGONG BUHAY" GEISLER. When Baron received his trophy during the awards night of Cinemalaya last Sunday, July 18, he quipped: "Isa itong reminder na magpakatino na ako!"
In response, Direk Mark teased Baron and referred to his lead actor as Baron "Bagong Buhay" Geisler when he gave his acceptance speech for the Best Film award. Direk Mark was so happy that night that he even told the audience: "Kung puwede lang, I want to make love to all of you kahit hindi sabay-sabay!"
In Cinco, Baron had a steamy kissing scene with Kristel Moreno and when her character tried to threaten him, his character responded by saying, "O ano, kakasuhan mo ako ng sexual harassment? Lumang style na 'yan!"
PEP took the opportunity to ask Baron if that was originally part of the script and he revealed, "Adlib ko lang yun."
Aside from being seen in the Star Cinema film Cinco, Baron is also included in the cast of the ABS-CBN shows Elias Paniki and Noah.
"So far, everything is good. Ito yung pinaka-right track ko ever. Inside my heart, wala akong kailangang i-prove sa tao."
He pointed out, "Hindi naman ako bibigyan ng ABS-CBN ng dalawang show kung mahirap akong katrabaho, di ba? Sila [his co-workers] na lang ang tanungin niyo, yung mga nasa set."
What inspired him to turn over a new leaf?
"Ako, kailangan ko na talagang magpatayo ng bahay or condo. Kasi na-realize ko...after Jay, dahil sa mga nangyaring issue, nawalan ako ng trabaho for six months, close to one year. Broke talaga ako nun. Sa buong buhay ko, first time ko na-broke. Nung nasunugan ako dati, may milyon pa ako noon, e. Pero ito wala talaga."
Baron then declared, "I can see my future. I'm gonna have a bright future."
NEW MANAGER. Baron's career used to be handled by Maryo de los Reyes but he transferred to Arnold Vegafria. The actor is thankful to his new manager for giving him the opportunity to get a fresh start for his career.
"[Sumugal] siya, e. Tsina-challenge niya yung ABS-CBN at buti, tinanggap ako. So now, I'm doing my part. Kumbaga new management, new life," he said.
How is his relationship with his former manager?
"Okay naman kami ni Direk Maryo. Hindi masakit yung paghihiwalay namin. Nag-uusap pa nga kami saka nag-congratulate ako sa kanya para sa film n'ya."
Direk Maryo recently helmed I'll Be There, starring KC Concepcion, Gabby Concepcion. and Jericho Rosales.
PENDING CASES. In 2009, GMA-7 actress Yasmien Kurdi filed an acts of lasciviousness and unjust vexation case against her former Suspetsa co-star. When asked for an update regarding this case, Baron revealed that on July 21, he will have a preliminary hearing in Bocaue, Bulacan.
When asked regarding the ongoing sexual harassment case filed by Patrizha Martinez against Baron, he says, "I stick to my beliefs na nasa tama ako. For me, wala akong ginawang mali dun. Ang mali ko lang, wrong time at nagamit ang pagkalasing ko lang."