Director Carlo J. Caparas faces multi-million tax evasion charges

IMAGE 0


The Bureau of Internal Revenue said director Carlo J. Caparas failed to declare the P850 million income he received from the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) as payment for the direction and production of various TV programs.


The Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) has filed a multi-million tax evasion charge against director Carlo J. Caparas before the Department of Justice today, October 21, reports GMA News.

According to the BIR, Caparas failed to file tax returns from 2006 to 2009. It said the director did not declare the P850 million he received from the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO), as payment for the direction and production of various television programs.

The BIR said Caparas owes the government P540 million in unpaid taxes, surcharges, and penalties for the four taxable years.

The bureau looked into Caparas's tax records after PCSO canceled two TV programs that were supposedly part of a new P1.2-billion contract between the director and the PCSO.

Caparas's wife Donna Villa refused to give a comment to GMA News.

Last year, Caparas was also embroiled in a controversy after then President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo added his name to the list of new National Artist awardees. The inclusion caused an uproar in the art and cultural community. (CLICK HERE to read related story)

A Supreme Court decision blocked the conferment of the award to Caparas, as well as to six other nominees that year. No final decision has yet been made by the Supreme Court on the issue.

Caparas is famous for a string of massacre movies he directed in the 1990s, as well as his creation of popular comics characters like Bakekang and Gagambino.


WE RECOMMEND


FROM THE SUMMIT MEDIA NETWORK


SPONSORED CONTENT


COMMENTS

Loading comments

THIS JUST IN