After lagging behind miserably for a good number of weeks, GMA-7's Takeshi's Castle is starting to show signs of life particularly last Friday, August 31, after it registered an impressive 17 percent rating. But it is still not enough to overturn rival Game KNB? which tallied 19.3 percent.
This is according to the recent survey conducted by AGB Nielsen Philippines among Mega Manila households last August 31 to September 2.
Saturday, September 1, however turned out to be a major upset as Takeshi's Castle grabbed the upper hand with a 16.4 percent clip compared to Edu Manzano's game show, which posted a 10.7 percent rating.
The two controversial noontime shows, meanwhile, are locked up in a much tighter battle following the wake of Wowowee's Willie Revillame and Eat Bulaga's Joey de Leon's personal and professional conflict.
Friday (Aug. 31) saw Eat Bulaga! hanging on to the lead with a 23.6 percent performance while Wowowee trailed closely with a 22.1 percent rating.
Eat Bulaga! still emerged victorious Saturday (Sept. 1) with 23.4 percent rating while Wowowee was almost a hairline away from pulling off a coup with a 23.2 percent rating to close the week.
Many experts believe that the ongoing feud between Joey and Willie helped greatly in bolstering the stocks of both shows, particularly in Wowowee's case as it managed to trim down considerably its rival's lead, most notably on a weekend.
Friday primetime was dominated by GMA-7 as five of its shows landed in the Top 5. Marimar led the pack with a walloping 37.2 percent rating. Mga Mata ni Anghelita, meanwhile, regained supremacy in its timeslot as it posted a 36 percent rating. Also in the Top 5 are 24 Oras, Impostora, and Jumong.
Kokey posted a 28.6 percent rating to lead all ABS-CBN primetime programs. Judy Ann Santos's Ysabella followed with 27.4 percent while the last episode of Claudine Barretto and Piolo Pascual's Walang Kapalit notched the No. 8 spot overall with 26.4 percent.
Startalk remained untouched as it once again dominated over its counterpart Entertainment Live with a comfortable 16.9 percent rating against the latter's decent 13.9 percent.
Celebrity Duets continues to gain ground as it gathered a 25.4 percent rating. Frederick Peralta bowed out of the competition last Saturday, a week after beauty queen Ana Theresa Licaros became the show's first casualty.
Typical of a Sunday, daytime viewing started slow before picking up at around late afternoon all the way to early evening yesterday, September 2. Kap's Amazing Stories once again reigned with 22.6 percent followed by Showbiz Central with its 17 percent showing.
This is the third consecutive week that Showbiz Central edged out its rival, The Buzz, which posted a 12.5 percent rating.
Paolo Bediones's Tok! Tok! Tok! Isang Milyon Pasok still leads the Sunday primetime race with 28.4 percent. Mel & Joey occupied the No. 2 spot with 27. 2 percent followed by Korina Sanchez's Rated K with 20.2 percent.
Here are the top 10 shows for daytime and primetime programming from August 31 to September 2:
August 31 (Friday):
1. Meteor Garden (GMA-7) - 26.6%
2. Eat Bulaga! (GMA-7) - 23.6%
3. Wowowee (ABS-CBN) - 22.1%
4. Pati Ba Pintig Ng Puso (GMA-7) - 20.1%
5. Daisy Siete (GMA-7) - 19.6%
6. Game KNB? (ABS-CBN) - 19.3%
7. Kung Mahawi Man Ang Ulap (GMA-7) - 18.7%
8. Foxy Lady (GMA-7) - 17.2%
9. Takeshi's Castle (GMA-7) - 17.0%
10. Margarita (ABS-CBN) - 14.5%
1. Marimar (GMA-7) - 37.2%
2. Mga Mata Ni Anghelita (GMA-7) - 36%
3. 24 Oras (GMA-7) - 35.6%
4. Impostora (GMA-7) - 32.5%
5. Jumong (GMA-7) - 29.4%
6. Kokey (ABS-CBN) - 28.6%
7. Ysabella (ABS-CBN) - 27.4%
8. Walang Kapalit (ABS-CBN) - 26.4%
9. TV Patrol World (ABS-CBN) - 26.1%
10. Deal or No Deal (ABS-CBN) - 23.9%
September 1 (Saturday):
1. Eat Bulaga! (GMA-7) - 23.4%
2. Wowowee (ABS-CBN) - 23.2 %
3. Wish Ko Lang (GMA-7) - 22.1%
4. Startalk (GMA-7) - 16.9%
5. Takeshi's Castle (GMA-7) - 16.4%
6. Pedro Penduko at ang Mga Engkantao (ABS-CBN) - 15.5%
7. Fantastic Man (GMA-7) - 14.4%
8. Entertainment Live (ABS-CBN) - 13.9%
9. Nagmamahal Kapamilya (ABS-CBN) - 12.1%
10. Game KNB? (ABS-CBN) - 10.7%
1. Bitoy's Funniest Videos (GMA-7) - 32.1%
2. Kapuso Mo, Jessica Soho (GMA-7) - 30.6%
3. Celebrity Duets (GMA-7) - 25.4%
4. Imbestigador (GMA-7) - 24.3%
5. 1 vs. 100 (ABS-CBN) - 23.3%
6. TV Patrol Sabado (ABS-CBN) - 23.1%
7. XXX (ABS-CBN) - 18.5%
8. John En Shirley (ABS-CBN) - 18.4%
9. Nuts Entertainment (GMA-7) - 15.2%
10. U Can Dance (ABS-CBN) - 11.2%
September 2 (Sunday):
1. Kap's Amazing Stories (GMA-7) - 22.6%
2. Showbiz Central (GMA-7) - 17%
3. SOP (GMA-7) - 16.3%
4. TV Patrol Linggo (ABS-CBN) - 14.9%
5. Takeshi's Castle (GMA-7) - 12.4%
6. Coke: Ride to Fame (GMA-7) - 13.1%
7. The Buzz (ABS-CBN) - 12.5%
8. Boys Nxt Door (GMA-7) - 12.3%
9. ASAP (ABS-CBN) - 11.7%
10. Love Spell (ABS-CBN) - 8.7%
1. Tok! Tok! Tok! (GMA-7) - 28.4%
2. Mel & Joey (GMA-7) - 27.2%
3. Rated K (ABS-CBN) - 20.2%
4. All Star K (GMA-7) - 20%
5. SNBO: Hero (GMA-7) - 16.4 %
6. Full Haus (GMA-7) - 16.1%
7. Goin' Bulilit (ABS-CBN) - 15.9%
8. That's My Doc (ABS-CBN) - 15.9%
9. Sharon (ABS-CBN) - 15.1%
10. Be Bench (ABS-CBN) - 10.1%
Source: AGB Nielsen Philippines