The Makati standoff led by Senator Antonio Trillanes last Thursday, November 29, held the daytime programming hostage. Coverage of the highly tense situation—from late morning to late in the afternoon—dominated the top two spots in the ratings game with GMA-7's Breaking News leading the way with 27.2 percent, while ABS-CBN News Patrol followed closely with 26.8 percent.
Because of this development, Eat Bulaga! was relegated to the third place with 25.3 percent. Willie Revillame's Wowowee came in at fourth with 22.1 percent.
Notably, two morning talk shows—SiS and Boy & Kris—benefitted from the Manila Peninsula scuffle. The show of Janice de Belen, Carmina Villarroel, and Gelli de Belen registered a 14.1 percent grade. Boy Abunda and Kris Aquino's morning show also held their own, gathering a 13.4 percent rating to barge inside the winning column.
The rest of the afternoon programs had to be scrapped to give way to the Manila Pen standoff.
The coverage of the Manila Pen siege continued until the primetime newscast with 24 Oras posting a 35.6 percent rating compared to News Patrol's 30.1 percent.
Not much has changed in the primetime competition, although La Vendetta's slide to the No.9 position was highly noticeable. Pangarap na Bituin (26 percent), Princess Sarah (25.5 percent), and Pinoy Big Brother Celebrity Edition 2 all ganged up on the suspense-drama series to own the sixth to eights spots, respectively.
Everything returned to normal the following day, November 30, and Eat Bulaga! reclaimed the throne. Registering a 21.2 percent rating, the country's longest-running noontime show dealt Whammy! Push Your Luck a telling blow. Settling for No. 2, Rufa Mae Quinto and Paolo Bediones's game show amassed a rating of 19.1 percent.
Saturday, December 1, was Vic Sotto Day. Kapuso Sine featuring the third installment of Enteng Kabisote reigned in the daytime race as proven by its 27.5 percent showing. Eat Bulaga! which is being co-hosted by Vic, settled at No. 2 with its 23.6 percent rating.
ABS-CBN"s Cinema FPJ (16.9 percent) claimed the third spot while Wowowee and Super Inggo 1.5, bearing a similar 16.7 percent rating, hung on to fourth place.
Bitoy's Funniest Video's remained spotless in the primetime category. Bolstered by its 33.7 percent rating, Michael V has once again proven that he owns Saturday evenings.
December 2, Sunday, saw ABS-CBN scoring a knockout, thanks to the strong showing of the Donaire versus Maldonado boxing bout. The match, dubbed as Affirmation, collected a 17.7 percent grade, which was more than enough for a triumph over the other daytime programs.
Not to be outdone, Kay Susan Tayo showed enough grit to challenge the boxing event. With a 14 percent rating, Susan Enriquez's infotainment show grabbed the No. 2 spot and even upstaged ASAP 07's 12.6 rating.
Showbiz Central trounced close rival The Buzz with a manageable margin. For the week, Kapuso network's showbiz talk show tallied 12.3 percent rating as compared to its competitor's 11.6 percent.
Primetime Sunday was again on a standstill with Tok! Tok! Tok! leading the way anew with a 25. 1 percent rating.
Here are the Top 10 shows for daytime and primetime programming from November 29 to December 2 according to the overnight ratings conducted by AGB Nielsen Philippines among Mega Manila households:
November 29 (Thursday)
- GMA Breaking News (GMA-7) - 27.2%
- ABS-CBN News Patrol (ABS-CBN) - 26.8%
- Eat Bulaga! (GMA-7) - 25.3%
- Wowowee (ABS-CBN) - 22.1%
- Pilipinas, Game KNB? (ABS-CBN) - 22%
- SiS (GMA-7) - 14.1%
- Boy &Kris (ABS-CBN) - 13.4 %
- Marimar (GMA-7) - 40.8%
- Kamandag (GMA-7) - 37.3%
- 24 Oras (GMA-7) - 35.6%
- Zaido (GMA-7) - 35.1%
- News Patrol (ABS-CBN) - 30.1%
- Pangarap Na Bituin (ABS-CBN) - 26%
- Princess Sarah (ABS-CBN) - 25.5%
- Pinoy Big Brother Celebrity Edition (ABS-CBN) - 25.4%
- La Vendetta (GMA-7) - 24.7%
- Lastikman (ABS-CBN) - 22.1%
November 30 (Friday)
- Eat Bulaga! (GMA-7) - 21.2%
- Whammy! Push Your Luck (GMA-7) - 19.1%
- Daisy Siete (GMA-7) - 18.9%
- Pasan Ko Ang Daigdig (GMA-7) - 17.6%
- Pilipinas, Game KNB? (ABS-CBN) - 16.7%
- Wowowee (ABS-CBN) - 16.5%
- Kapamilya, Deal or No Deal (ABS-CBN) - 16.2%
- Takeshi's Castle (GMA-7) - 15.5%
- My Only Love (GMA-7) - 15.3%
- Couple or Trouble (GMA-7) - 13.9%
- Marimar (GMA-7) - 43.2%
- Kamandag (GMA-7) - 39.2%
- Zaido (GMA-7) - 36.5%
- 24 Oras (GMA-7) - 31.6%
- La Vendetta (GMA-7) - 27.9%
- Pangarap Na Bituin (ABS-CBN) - 25.3%
- TV Patrol World (ABS-CBN) - 23.3%
- Princess Sarah (ABS-CBN) - 22.9%
- Lastikman (ABS-CBN) - 22.1%
- Pinoy Big Brother Celebrity Edition (ABS-CBN) - 22%
December 1 (Saturday)
- Kapuso Sine: Enteng Kabisote 3 (GMA-7) - 27.5%
- Eat Bulaga! (GMA-7) - 23.6%
- FPJ Cinema: Da King on ABS-CBN (ABS-CBN) - 16.9%
- Wowowee (ABS-CBN) / Super Inggo 1.5 (ABS-CBN) - 16.7%
- Wish Ko Lang (GMA-7) - 16%
- StarTalk (GMA-7) - 13%
- Pilipinas, Game KNB? (ABS-CBN) - 11.4%
- Takeshi's Castle (GMA-7) - 11%
- Entertainment Live (ABS-CBN) - 10.2%
- Bitoy's Funniest Video's (GMA-7) - 33.7%
- Kapuso Mo, Jessica Soho (GMA-7) - 31.7%
- Kakasa Ka Ba Sa Grade 5? (GMA-7) - 30.2%
- Imbestigador (GMA-7) - 23.3%
- 1 vs. 100 (ABS-CBN) - 22.3%
- Pinoy Big Brother Celebrity Edition (ABS-CBN) - 21.9%
- XXX (ABS-CBN) - 19.3%
- TV Patrol World (ABS-CBN) - 17.5%
- Nuts Entertainment (GMA-7) - 13.7%
- Pinoy Mano Mano (ABS-CBN) - 7.5%
December 2 (Sunday)
- Affirmation: Donaire vs. Maldonado (GMA-7) - 17.7%
- Kay Susan Tayo (GMA-7) - 14%
- ASAP '07 (ABS-CBN) - 12.6%
- Showbiz Central (GMA-7) - 12.3%
- The Buzz (ABS-CBN) - 11.6%
- SOP (GMA-7) - 11.1%
- Your Song (ABS-CBN) - 10.6%
- Love Spell Presents Cindy-Rella (ABS-CBN) - 10.1%
- Ka Pete Na! Totally Outrageous Behavior (ABS-CBN) - 7.4%
- Pinoy Mano Mano (ABS-CBN) - 5.4%
- Tok! Tok! Tok! Isang Milyon Pasok (GMA-7) - 25.1%
- Kap's Amazing Stories (GMA-7) - 24.7%
- Mel & Joey (GMA-7) - 23.2%
- Rated K (ABS-CBN) - 21.6%
- Goin' Bulilit (ABS-CBN) - 21.4%
- All Star K (GMA-7) - 19.7%
- Sharon (ABS-CBN) - 17.8%
- TV Patrol World (ABS-CBN) - 17.3%
- Pinoy Big Brother Celebrity Edition (ABS-CBN) - 16.1%
- That's My Doc (ABS-CBN) - 14.9%
Source: AGB Nielsen Philippines