A very bubbly Sharon Cuneta greeted the press yesterday, January 11, at the Discovery Suites, where the press conference for her Once In A Lifetime concert with Martin Nievera took place.
"This is my first homecoming press con! Naman!" she began energetically.
After almost 16 years, the Megastar is back on her "home turf"—VIVA—with Vic del Rosario now co-managing her career with Sharon’s longtime manager Sandra Chavez.
The actress-singer-host related, "Diyan kami nagsimula.
"And si Boss Vic mismo nagpapaalala na daddy [the late Pasay Mayor Pablo Cuneta] ko nagsimula ng VIVA, kaya napakalaking sentimental value din ng pagbalik ko at pagbabalikan naming dalawang mag-boss.
"Ang dami naming plans sa buhay—si Boss Vic at Ms. Sandra."
One of which is putting up, she says, her "Mega Productions that is now in partnership with TV5."
MEGASTAR PROJECTS. The Valentine concert is technically her second project with VIVA.
Sharon said, "After the TV5 deal is, of course, this very special concert.
"Kasi, sa more than three decades ko as a singer and concert performer, first time ever, meron akong magiging ka-back-to-back sa concert—talagang half of everything, sharing stage, splitting it down the middle—and that of course is Martin Nievera, the Concert King."
The Manila show is slated for February 11, at the Smart Araneta Coliseum, and its Cebu version will be on February 14, at the Cebu Waterfront Hotel.
Come March, Sharon is supposed to start shooting her movie with ex-husband Gabby Concepcion.
But before that, some things have to be finalized.
Laughing, Shawie—the nickname Sharon is fondly called by friends—revealed, "Sabi ni Gabby, hindi pa siya nakakausap ni Boss Vic.
"’Tapos sabi ni Boss Vic, gagawa kami ng movie, so sana mag-usap na sila para ma-sure na kung gagawa ba o hindi."
After this reunion project, she mentioned a possible "movie with Judy Ann Santos," who is known to be her good friend.
For television, she is sure about having a daily show, which she described as "about fun, life, and musical."
She added, "In other words, dun niyo lang ulit ako makikita na ganun."
The Megastar also included "a weekly talent search nationwide," which is "gonna be very big."
"Hindi ko alam..." she quickly answered. "If I do a soap, that would be nice."
And yes, "There might be a sitcom."
What if her show’s time slot competes with KC’s?
Her initial reply: "Okay lang iyon. We know we are slave to our networks. Since we’re beggars, we cannot be choosers. ’
"Hindi namin puwedeng sabihing [ayaw ko]... You know, puwede ko lang pakiusapan."
Then, she said, "Huwag naman sanang magtapat. Pero okay lang ’yon."
PRESSURE vs PRESYO. "To whom much is given, much is required."
She has not officially started her job as a Kapatid, but admits, "May pressure na."
At the same time, she says she’s very excited.
Laughing again, she quipped, "Okay na rin, kasi tama naman ang presyo!"
This served as a cue for PEP.ph (Philippine Entertainment Portal) and other entertainment media present to bring up her "one-billion-peso talent fee."
Late last year—November 22, to be exact—after inking the deal with the network’s executives, rumors about her ten-digit contract floated.
Some said "one billion pesos"; others, "two billion."
Sharon would not give the exact amount, but gave the press an idea, "Ganituhin natin, divided by five years, magkano yun?"
A showbiz columnist yelled that that was about "16 million" per month or more than half-a-million per day.
Sharon said, "E, maraming-maraming taon na, on a yearly basis, ang income ko naman, hindi naman nalalayo doon.
"So, sabihin na lang nating minsan man napakaliit, minsan okay, so hindi naman masyadong nakakagulat kasi limang taon naman."
Does the figure have something to do with the fact that her new boss Manny V. Pangilinan is the uncle of her husband Senator Francis Pangilinan?
"Pero MVP is a businessman," Sharon rebutted. "In fact, I’m not very close to MVP, but the family of Kiko is."
She also added, "If the station thinks I’m worth it, who am I to disagree?"
But money was not her primary motivation to become a Kapatid.
She underscored, "You know, believe it or not, when this figure was brought up, yung halaga...Uhm, hindi siya naging prayoridad."
It was "change" that led her to such a decision.
Sharon elaborated, "Pero yung change, not because you’re not happy anymore, pero because you are in a situation that’s no longer an accurate description of who you are."
SAMA NG LOOB? She described her exit from ABS-CBN, which became her home for "23 years" as "very emotional."
The Megastar recounted, "I think lahat ng brining-up ko every chance na meron akong gustong i-bring up, pinakinggan naman nila over the years."
And the day before she signed the contract with TV5, she spent some time with the big bosses of Kapamilya—Gabby Lopez, Charo Santos-Concio, and Cory Vidanes.
Continuing her story, "There was a lot of tears. Siyempre, mga pamilya ko ’yan, e. Hindi lang mga boss kasi ang turing ko sa kanila, mga kaibigan ko sila, e...
"Pero, they also said they couldn’t deprive me naman of what TV5 was offering.
"So, all in all, yung ending masakit pero masaya rin. Masakit kasi maghihiwalay kayo after 23 years.
"Siguro ang laki-laki na rin nilang istasyon.
"Maraming-maraming marami na ring bagong artists. Marami na ring nagbago over those two decades.
"At siguro, na-feel ko na lang na time for me to move on na dahil parang...baka, e, hindi na tama yung fit ko dun sa istasyon."
She summed up her 2011 as "hindi boring" and "hindi masyadong exciting."
Most of the time, she was abroad holding concerts.
But this year, she’s going to be busy here, and she assured her public that her projects will be "yung gustong makita ng audience ko."