Paulo Avelino on rise of career since switching networks: “Maganda naman po yung kinalabasan ng desisyon ko and masaya naman po ako ngayon.”

Since shifting from being a GMA-7 talent to an ABS-CBN star, Paulo Avelino’s acting career has taken off. The Urian-winning actor tells, “Never ko in-expect na ganito mangyayari sa akin sa taong ito. Sa isang taon ko sa ABS-CBN, parang napakabilis ng mga pangyayari.” The 24-year-old actor now dabbles into singing as he finally launches a self-titled, six-track album.


Apart from Paulo Avelino’s acting skills earning distinction over the past year since his transfer to the ABS-CBN Network, the actor fulfills one of his dreams yet again. This time, it’s singing.

The 24-year-old actor, who won the Best Actor award at the 2012 Gawad Urian last June, is now a recording artist of Universal Records.

This month, Paulo launches his first album, a self-titled collection of revivals which includes a minus-one track per song.

At a press conference held yesterday, October 2, at the Universal Towers along Quezon Avenue, Quezon City, Paulo mentioned how he “always wanted to sing songs or be a rock star.”

“Kaso mukhang hindi na ako magiging rock star, e!” Paulo jokingly mused in front of the invited members of the media.

He added later, “[When] I was given a chance to do an album, I grabbed the opportunity. I also tried a different field. It’s also nice to try something out of the box.”

The Ang Sayaw Ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa star narrated how the project came about.

It was his one performance in the Kapamilya channel’s musical-variety show ASAP that gave Paulo’s manager, Leo Dominguez, an idea that the actor could sing.

It was timely that Leo reviewed Paulo’s song number on YouTube prior to meeting with Universal Records executives for a different artist.

Soon, Paulo’s singing stint was underway. It was August of this year when he released his first single “When She Cries” via the music portal mymusicstore.com.ph.

The actor has since then been promoting his remake of Restless Heart’s original single through his personal Twitter account.

Paulo admitted that the decision to produce an album at this point is mainly because of the way his career is progressing.

“I think, yes. Isa dun sa mga rason kung bakit pinagdesisyunan na gumawa ng album ngayon ay dahil sa magandang pagtakbo ng career ko.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

“At bilang pasasalamat ko sa aking mga tagasuporta at mga kaibigan na sumuporta since day one.

“Kaya nag-decide kami gumawa ng album bilang pasasalamat sa kanila.”

NO SHOW AT COSMO BASH. Paulo Avelino was expected to be the main celebrity hunk to grace the Cosmo Bachelor Bash, an annual event where the hottest men of the entertainment industry show off their robust bods as they walk the ramp.

The actor was a no show, however, during the September 18 affair.

He clarified on Tuesday afternoon that his scheduled trip to the United States compelled him to miss out on the said event.

He and the cast of the primetime teleserye hit Walang Hanggan, which is slated to air its finale on October 26, had to shoot one of its last scenes in San Francisco, California.

Their trip likewise included a fan meeting with TFC (The Filipino Channel) subscribers who avidly watch their show.

Paulo stated, “Nalulungkot din talaga ako at hindi ako umabot sa Cosmo Bash dahil… importante din kasi yung mga eksena kaya kami nagpunta sa States for Walang Hanggan.

“Importante din po yung tour, yung Kapamilya tour. Kahit ano po talagang gawin, hindi talaga aabot…

“So, I’m very sorry sa lahat ng mga pumunta dun. I hope I could make it up to them one day in the future.”

Meanwhile, the actor said that the tour went well.

“Yung mga Kapamilya po nating mga TFC subscribers reached around twelve to thirteen thousand in a very small venue in Sta. Clara.

“I’m very happy na ganun kainit yung pagtanggap sa amin doon.”

WALANG HANGGAN. Nathan, Paulo’s mentally-troubled character in Walang Hanggan, is at present earning him praise.

Since the show began in January of this year, the actor has managed to display the depths of his acting via a teleserye character who shifts from being tranquil to violent.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

As the show comes to a close, Paulo feels a bit nostalgic: “Siyempre nalulungkot din po ako na magtatapos na yung programa namin.

“Pero bilang nagtatapos naman po ang lahat, kailangan pong mag-strive for a higher goal after Walang Hanggan.”

He reckoned that among his favorite scenes include those with veteran actress Helen Gamboa, who plays his grandmother.

“Bilib talaga ako kay Tita Helen. Something about her [acting] that strikes my heart. Pag magka-eksena kami, you could feel her.”

A memorable scene for Paulo would be the wedding of Nathan and Katerina (Julia Montes), the teleserye’s long-suffering heroine.

“Siguro yung kasal namin ni Katerina. Dahil siyempre nung mga panahon na yun, napakaliwanag nung character, masaya ka sa scene mo… hindi pa nawawala sa sarili.”

But Paulo personally loves the scenes where he “becomes” his psychotic character.

“Maganda rin yung scenes na nawawala rin ako sa sarili ko.

“Pag sinu-shoot talaga yung mga eksena, nawawala talaga ako sa sarili ko. Yun ang nangyayari, e.”

Asked in the portion of the press conference about how he detaches or switches off the emotions while playing Nathan’s character, Paulo replied to the surprise of the press, “Actually I don’t.”

Half-laughing, he eventually took it back, “I try to brush it off right away after. Pero may mga times talaga na… lalo pag dire-diretso sa isang day.

“You need to give it your all… to contemplate at your fullest to bring out what you need to direct your emotions.”

It helps, Paulo said, that the people in their work environment make things light for him.

“They do jokes when they see that you’re falling off the cliff. If they see that you’re serious, they pull you out.”

Despite the taxing shooting days, the actor, according to his soap opera co-star Ogie Diaz, never complained.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Ogie, also an entertainment writer who was present during the said press conference, commended Paulo for his professionalism.

What has kept Paulo driven despite his strenuous job?

He replied, “Ako, I do it for the project because ayaw kong nahihirapan yung mga tao, e.

“Kumbaga, you see all the crew, you see all the staff na mas may mahirap pang ginagawa sa ’yo, hindi nga nakakapagpahinga sa tent or hindi sila nakaka-idlip. [Tapos] ikaw may time umidlip.

“Parang nakakahiya naman sa kanila…

“So, I do it. Finish the project bilang artista at bilang isang propesyunal na nagtatrabaho para sa isang special teleserye,” Paulo said, smiling.

TRANSFER TO ABS-CBN. It cannot be denied that since the former GMA-7 talent’s transfer to the ABS-CBN management, Paulo’s career has been on a roll.

During the press conference, when inquired if he had to sacrifice something for him to be where he is now, Paulo answered, “Actually, hindi ko siya sakripisyo kundi matinding desisyon.

“Yun nga, yung paglipat ko sa ABS-CBN… kabadong-kabado ako. Pero, okay naman po.

“Maganda naman po yung kinalabasan ng desisyon ko and masaya naman po ako ngayon.”

The actor was not hesitant to attribute his rising career to his and his manager’s decision to transfer to the Kapamilya network.

He stated, “Never ko pong in-expect lahat ng nangyayari… Never ko pong in-expect na ganito magiging kaganda yung pagtanggap sa akin nung mga tao, sa amin sa Walang Hanggan.

“Never ko in-expect na ganito mangyayari sa akin sa taong ito.

“Sa isang taon ko sa ABS-CBN, parang napakabilis ng mga pangyayari.”

Thankful, he also said, “Nung pumasok ako sa ABS-CBN, ang akin lang, gusto ko lang magtrabaho, gusto ko lang gumaling sa larangan ng pag-arte at maraming matutunan.

“Nagagawa naman po ngayon. Nangyayari naman. Marami akong natutunan.”

While there is no teleserye project in line yet for the actor after Walang Hanggan, Paulo is currently part of two film projects for Regal Entertainment.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Under the direction of Joel Lamangan, Paulo topbills The Bride, The Lover with leading ladies Lovi Poe and Jennylyn Mercado.

Likewise the actor is part of the cast of the horror film Shake Rattle and Roll 14 being directed by Chito Roño.


WE RECOMMEND


FROM THE SUMMIT MEDIA NETWORK


SPONSORED CONTENT


COMMENTS

Loading comments

THIS JUST IN