The eight official entries for the Metro Manila Film Festival, aka the Magic 8, are finally complete.
Today, October 16, the MMFF selection committee announced the final four entries chosen from finished film submissions.
These are 3Pol Trobol Huli Ka Balbon (Coco Martin), Mindanao (Judy Ann Santos), Culion (Iza Calzado, Meryl Soriano, and Joem Bascon), and Write About Love (Miles Ocampo and Rocco Nacino).
Completing the Magic 8 are the first four entries from scripts that made the cut in July.
These are Miracle in Cell No. 7, Mission Unstapabol: The Don Identity, The Mall The Merrier (formerly known as Momalland); and Sunod (which replaced the slot for (K) Ampon).
What about the movies that didn't make the cut?
According to PEP.ph (Philippine Entertainment Portal) sources, fifteen entries were screened for the finished film submissions.
The 11 entries that didn't make it to the Magic 8 are the following (in no specific order):
1. G! LU!, a youth-oriented drama starring Ruru Madrid, Derrick Monasterio and David Licauco;
2. NIGHT SHIFT, a psychological horror starring Yam Concepcion, Mercedes Cabral, and Solimand Cruz;
3. KALEL, 15, a drama movie starring Jaclyn Jose, Elijah Canlas, Elora Españo, Paul Cedrick Juan, Gabbi Padilla, and the late Eddie Garcia;
4. DAMASO, a musical-historical film starring Arnell Ignacio, Ejay Falcon, Lou Veloso, with the special participation of Aiko Melendez;
5. TAGPUAN, a drama love story starring Alfred Vargas, Iza Calzado, and Shaina Magdayao;
6. ANIMASYONG PAMBATA, an animation comedy film;
7. LOVE IS LOVE, a romantic comedy;
8. ISA PANG BAHAGHARI, a family drama and love story starring Nora Aunor, Phillip Salvador, Michael de Mesa, Zanjoe Marudo, Joseph Marco, and Sanya Lopez;
9. DANZTEP, a musical drama;
10. JOLLY SPIRIT SQUAD, a horror comedy starring Bruce Rivera and Glydel Mercado;
11. THE HEIRESS, a horror film starring Maricel Soriano and Janella Salvador