A total of 16 finished films were received by the Executive Committee for consideration to the 2018 Metro Manila Film Festival.
The final four entries chosen are the following: the family drama Rainbow’s Sunset; the romance film One Great Love; the rom-com Mary, Marry Me; and the horror film Otlum.
This completes the 8 official entries that will compete in the 44th edition of the MMFF that will take place from December 25 to January 7, 2019.
The four scripts previously chosen from submitted movie scripts are: Aurora; Fantastica: The Princess, The Prince, and the Perya; Girl In The Orange Dress; and Jack Em Popoy: The Puliscredibles.
During the announcement made by the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority yesterday, October 9, the MMFF Executive Committee disclosed the criteria used in selecting the entries:
Criteria used by the selection committee in choosing the official MMFF 2018 entries:
A. Artistic Excellence (40%)
B. Commercial Appeal (40%)
C. Promotion of Filipino Culture and Historical Values (10%)
D. Global Appeal (10%)
This year's Selection Committee is headed by National Artist for Literature Bienvenido Lumbera with members Jesse Ejercito, Evylene Advincula, Roy Iglesias, Maria Anicia Naval, Mel Chionglo, James Bartolome, Lualhati Bautista, Cesar Ona Jr., Irene Jose, Lilibeth Nakpil, and Consoliza Laguardia.
The awards night of MMFF 2018 will take place on December 27 at The Theatre Solaire in Paranaque.
Based on information provided by a source of PEP.ph (Philippine Entertainment Portal), here are the 16 finished films submitted to MMFF 2018:
1. ANG SIKRETO NG PISO directed by Perry Escano (Gelli de Belen, Ariel Rivera) from JPP Dreamworld Productions & MPJ Entertainment Productions
2. SPARK IN SAMAR directed by Bona Fajardo (Empress Schuck) from BluArt Productions
3. ARIA directed by Carlo Enciso Catu (Liya Sarmiento, Jay Garcia) from Holy Angels University
4. MAN AND WIFE directed by Laurice Guillen (Jodi Sta Maria, Gabby Concepcion) from Cineko Productions
5. MALEDICTO by Mark Meily (Jasmine Curtis-Smith, Tom Rodriguez) from Fox Philippines and Cignal Entertainment)
6. WATCH ME KILL directed by Tyrone Acierto (Jean Garcia, Jay Manalo, Junyka Santarin) from CineBandits Entertainment
7. RAINBOW'S SUNSET directed by Joel Lamangan (Eddie Garcia, Gloria Romero, Tony Mabesa, Tirso Cruz III, Sunshine Dizon, Aiko Melendez)
8. MISTERIO DELA NOCHE by Adolfo Alix Jr. (Solenn Heussaff and Benjamin Alves) from Frontrow Entertainment
9. LOLA IGNA directed by Eduardo Roy Jr. (Angie Ferro, Meryll Soriano, Yves Flores) from Found Films
10. TOL directed by Miko Livelo (Ketchup Eusebio, Joross Gamboa) from Reality Entertainment
11. MARY, MARRY ME directed by RC Delos Reyes (Toni Gonzaga, Alex Gonzaga, Sam Milby) from Ten17p Films
12. OTLUM directed by Joven Tan (basketball player Ricci Rivero, John Estrada, Jerome Ponce) From Horshoe Studios
13. PORTRAIT OF MY LOVE directed by Apo Manansala (Kiray Celis, Polo Ravales) from RJ17 Films Entertainment
14. BORN BEAUTIFUL directed by Perci Intalan (Martin Del Rosario, Kiko Matos, Akihiro Blanco) from Cignal Entertainment, TheIdeaFirst Company
15. ONE GREAT LOVE directed by Eric Quizon (Kim Chiu, Dennis Trillo, Sam Milby) from Regal Entertainment
16. ALPHA (THE RIGHT TO KILL) directed by Brillante Mendoza (Allen Dizon, Elijah Filmore, Baron Geisler) from CenterStage Productions