It's Showtime retains "Tawag Ng Tanghalan," launches new segments

by Rachelle Siazon
Jun 10, 2020
They'll soon be back on It's Showtime studio! Vice Ganda, Vhong Navarro, Karylle, and Jhong Hilario are all set for the lock-in shoot for the live telecast of the noontime show beginning this Saturday, June 13.
PHOTO/S: Instagram

Vhong Navarro confirmed that only "Tawag Ng Tanghalan" will be retained from the segments that was previously produced for It's Showtime.

But ABS-CBN's daily noontime show will be launching three new segments once it goes live again in ABS-CBN studio beginning June 13.

Enumerating the new segments, Vhong said, "Nandito yung '1Ted Now Hiring, Pamilyanaryo, at Super Fiestars: Ang Barangay Paligsahan.'

"Ibig sabihin ng '1Ted Now Hiring,' alam naman natin maraming nawalan ng trabaho.

"Dito sa Showtime, magbubukas kami ng pinto. May kinausap na companies na puwede sila matulungan.

"Meron ding segment na 'Pamilyanaryo.' Ito yung mga pamilya na medyo hirap sa buhay, pero nanaig sa kanila ang tumulong pa, kahit sila kailangan din ng tulong.

"Bibigyan natin sila ng tsansa dito sa 'Pamilyonaryo.'

"Ang ating 'Super Fiestars,' itong Mayo maraming fiesta pero di natupad dahil sa lockdown.

"Merong anim na araw na merong iba-ibang segment na sakop ng 'Super Fiestars.'"

Continue reading below ↓

Vhong gave this statement on Tuesday night, June 9, during a digital presscon with his It's Showtime co-host Jhong Hilario and creative manager Evette Borromeo.

Vhong Navarro

Jhong, for his part, said that he's really looking forward to be back in It's Showtime studio.

"Alam mo yung parang tatlong buwan kang hindi kumain ng fried chicken, pagkalabas mo kakain ka ulit ng fried chicken na masarap? Ganun kami ka-excited.

Continue reading below ↓

"Kasi sa sobrang excited ko nga, pinapanood ko sa YouTube yung past shows namin."

The last time It's Showtime had a live telecast in the studio was on March 14.

Then, on March 15, ABS-CBN suspended tapings for entertainment programs due to community quarantine.

ABS-CBN's TV and radio broadcast operations were eventually ordered to go off air on the night of May 5 because of the network's expired franchise.

Given the circumstances, Jhong went on to say that he didn't realize how much fun he has working with his co-hosts until the lockdown happened.

"Kasi kapag nagtatrabaho ka, hindi mo naman nararamdaman agad yun e, na marami kang napapasayang tao.

"Ay, ganito pala yung mga binitawang mong mga linya. Dun mo na lang sa YouTube makikita na ganun pala kami kasaya.

"I'm sure maraming madlang pipol na talagang na-miss kami, especially yung physical hosting namin."

Continue reading below ↓

Jhong Hilario

Vhong also pointed out that It's Showtime still produced live shows that was shown in ABS-CBN's digital platforms during the ECQ period.

But he missed exchanging banter with his co-hosts and seeing their reactions live in studio.

"Trinay namin magpasaya via Zoom, pero kulang," said Vhong, referring to the online video conference app that allows multiple split screens among participants.

"Hinahanap talaga na makita kami live sa studio, at eto na yun.

"Kaya talagang pinaghandaan namin.

"Pati segments namin pinag-isipan para mapasaya sila at makatulong at the same time."

HOT STORIES

LOCK-IN SHOOT FOR IT'S SHOWTIME'S LIVE TELECAST

Evette Borromeo, the show's creative manager, explained that safety protocols have been put in place to keep the hosts and staff safe from COVID-19.

They were divided into two teams so they can alternately undergo lock-in shooting in It's Showtime studio, located at the main building of ABS-CBN in Quezon City.

Main hosts Vice Ganda, Vhong, Jhong, and Karylle are required to be physically present, while the other co-hosts may join via virtual presence.

Continue reading below ↓

But there will be days when Amy Perez, Ryan Bang, Jugs Jugueta, and Teddy Corpuz will also go live in the studio.

Some of the show's staff members will be working from home.

Evette elaborated, "We divided the team kasi.

"Yung workflow, nagsasalitan, there's Team A, there's Team B for the producers, writers...

Continue reading below ↓

"Meron ding mga work from home. They do mostly the pre-prod.

"Kasi nga, dahil sa limited capacity, kailangan remotely nagagampanan pa rin yung bawat role ng bawat isa kahit nasaan pa siya."

Other resident members of It's Showtime, like the all-male group Hashtags and former contenders of Bida Man, won't be required in the studio.

"Siyempre pinag-aaralan namin yung traffic. Definitely, they will be present virtually.

"Maybe sometimes magpapalitan sila. Pero dahil limited, siyempre yung hosts, nandiyan.

"But all the other Hashtags, makikita niyo rin sa online shows namin."

When asked if anyone had been laid off because of the COVID-19 crisis, Evette readily answered that the whole It's Showtime family is still intact.

"Wala pa kaming mga ganung issue, sa ngayon.

"Basta ngayon, dini-divide namin sila into teams.

"Yung iba naka-deploy, yung iba naka-work from home."

NEW SETUP FOR TAWAG NG TANGHALAN

Contestants for "Tawag Ng Tanghalan," the show's singing competition segment, will be chosen through online auditions.

Continue reading below ↓

Evette explained, "Dati kasi may mga callbacks. Ngayon, wala nang physical.

"Vidoeconferencing lahat ng auditions. Meron kaming tinatawag na Zoom callbacks.

"Lahat sila ay nag-o-online. There's a different kind of interview.

"Kailangan mag-adjust dahil bawal mag-gather ng crowd."

Only three hurados are allowed to be "physically present" due to the "limited head count" for those getting back to work despite the pandemic.

Still talking about the hurados, Evette added, "Nagpapalit-palit naman sila."

Everyone who will be joining the lock-in taping for It's Showtime will be required to undergo rapid testing and strict self-quarantine.

"May safety protocol na sinusunod.

"For example, the contestansts, after they do the rapid tests, they go straight to a lock-in for three days.

"But they're also required to do strictly self-quarantine. So, mino-monitor namin sila kung anong status nila.

"Fourteen days ang kanilang self-quarantine prior to their rapid test.

"Hanggang sa day of participation nila, naka-lock-in sila sa amin.

Continue reading below ↓

MINI MISS U PUT ON HOLD

The kiddie beauty pageant "Mini Miss U" is one of the segments that had to be put on hold "indenifitely."

Evette pointed out that it's part of the government's directive prohibiting children from leaving their homes due to COVID-19 pandemic.

"Yung Mini Miss U, semi-finals na nung naputol tayo.

"We can't do anything about it kasi siyempre hindi pa talaga safe.

"Priority natin safety."

NOT COMPETING WITH EAT BULAGA

It's Showtime's rival show Eat Bulaga has already started doing live telecast on GMA-7 since June 8.

While ABS-CBN still can't go on air on free TV, all of its entertainment shows can still be enjoyed via the Kapamilya Channel and Jeepney TV.

The Kapamilya Channel will air on cable channels SKY, Cablelink, G Sat, and other cable operators which are members of the Philippine Cable Television Association.

But for Vhong, ABS-CBN and GMA-7's competition for viewership is far from his mind right now.

Continue reading below ↓

"Yung competition, wala talagang competition. Kasi ngayon, ang gusto lahat magpasaya.

"Nakita ko ang Eat Bulaga, nasilip ko nung isang araw, tina-try nila magpasaya kahit kulang-kulang sila [sa studio].

"Ganun din ang Showtime. Kahit na kulang kami, hindi pa talaga full force, magpapasaya pa rin kami ng tao."

Vhong said that the main goal is to give viewers a fun experience and to help contestants who will be joining their game segments.

"Tulong-tulong ang It's Showtime at Eat Bulaga na magpasaya ng tao.

"Dahil alam natin na kailangan na kailangan ng viewers makalimot pansamantala sa kanilang [hirap sa] buhay at magbigay ng papremyo para sa mga nawalan ng trabaho."

Continue reading below ↓

HOT STORIES

Ano ba ang latest sa showbiz? Find out kung anong level ang showbiz IQ mo by subscribing to PEP.ph Viber Chatbot here. Join our community para laging updated!

Read Next
Featured
Latest Stories
Trending in Summit Media Network

Featured Searches:

Read the Story →
They'll soon be back on It's Showtime studio! Vice Ganda, Vhong Navarro, Karylle, and Jhong Hilario are all set for the lock-in shoot for the live telecast of the noontime show beginning this Saturday, June 13.
PHOTO/S: Instagram
  • This article was created by . Edits have been made by the PEP.ph editors.
    Poll

    View Results
    Total Votes: 12,184
  • 50%
  • View Results