It was not only the candidates who grabbed viewers's attentions in this year's Miss Universe pageant.
Host Steve Harvey poked fun at himself from start to finish during the coronation of the 65th Miss Universe pageant held earlier today, January 30 (Manila time), at the Mall of Asia Arena.
Thanks to his wit, the American TV host lightened up the atmosphere as the world awaited the announcement of the Top 13, Top 6, Top 3 candidates, and the new Miss Universe, a title that went to Miss France.
Here are some of Steve's funny moments and quotes in this year's pageant:
1. It may be recalled that Steve made a major blunder towards the end of the pageant last year when he announced that Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez was the new Miss Universe.
It turned out to be made a mistake, since it was actually Miss Philippines Pia Wurtzbach who won the title.
He said during the first part of the Miss Universe pageant in the Philippines, "Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to replay what happened last year?"
The host also joked, "I had some stuff done to my eyes so that when it comes to the card, I'm going to get it right."
2. When Steve and Pia shared the stage, they were reminded of last year's blunder and made light of the situation.
Steve told Pia, "The last time we shared the stage, you were runner-up for 28 seconds."
Pia responded by saying graciously, "Steve, thank you for making me the most popular Miss Universe."
Steve responded by saying, "Thank you for making me the most famous host!"
3. When Steve called Miss Colombia Andrea Tovar and announced that she is part of the Top 13, he sighed before exclaiming, "Oh God! Jesus! Congratulations!"
This moment drew laughs from the audience, as well as from Miss Colombia herself.
She told him, "Thank you! And don't worry! Hug me!"
After they hugged, Steve asked directly: "I just want to ask this for myself, how do people in Colombia feel about Steve Harvey?"
Miss Colombia smiled and asked back, "You want the truth?"
Steve quipped, "No. Just lie to me."
Miss Colombia continued: "A lot of people hate you but I love you. The most important is…"
Miss Colombia then continued speaking in Spanish, prompting Steve to jokingly ask, "Was that a death threat?"
4. Coincidentally, right after Steve called Miss Colombia, he announced that the next finalist to make it in the Top 13 was Miss Philippines Maxine Medina!
Screams and heckles could be heard from the crowd at the Mall of Asia Arena after the announcement.
People were probably reacting since, aside from the pageant being held in Maxine's home country, people were amazed that Colombia and Philippines would be called right after each other, and Steve is once again doing the announcement!
Still chuckling, Steve simply said, "Oh God, I can't believe this is happening again! What the hell!"
5. Steve had a lively exchange with Miss France Iris Mittenaere when they talked about her love for cooking.
Miss France said that her specialty is beef bourguignon and told Steve that he should try it.
She added, "I would invite you in Paris!"
Steve informed her, "I have a wife, I can't come."
But Miss France insisted, "But my beef bourguignon is the best!"
Steve reiterated, "My wife still won't let me come."
6. First runner-up Miss Haiti Raquel Pellisier is actually part of a research team looking for a cure for blindness.
When Steve asked her for details about the project, Miss Haiti pointed out the importance of sight.
Miss Haiti quipped, "It's because of your eyes that you'll be able to read the next Miss Universe!"
Steve warned her, "Hey hey hey, don't go for that joke!"
7. During the preliminaries, Miss USA Deshauna Barber cracked a joke about her job.
She told the judges, "I'm a computer graduate and I'm in the reserves of the Army, which means that I can fix your computer and I can kick the ass of a 250-pound man who will take your computer!"
8. Towards the end of the pageant, Steve still managed to entertain viewers. This time, with the help of Pia!
Before announcing the winners, Steve said to the Miss Universe official handing him the envelope: "This has got to be right. If this happens again, you will not leave the Philippines."
Before he announced the name of the new Miss Universe, Pia suddenly approached him to hand over huge eyeglasses!
Pia hugged him and, in return, he told her: "Thank you so much, Pia!"
Thankfully, he was able to get the announcement right: Miss France Iris Mittenaere is the new Miss Universe!
PEPsters, what were your favorite moments during the Miss Universe pageant in the Philippines?