Ever wondered how our favorite movie stars remain larger-than-life gorgeous? Why, of course, with the help of celebrity makeup artists!
Bambbi Fuentes—makeup artist and hair stylist for six years, and now owner of five beauty salons—has had many celebrities under his care. His job doesn't end with attending to their hair and make-up needs. It extends to the creation of a "look," an image, whether the client is a budding star or a showbiz veteran.
Bambbi counts Gelli and Janice de Belen, Kris Aquino, Aiko Melendez, Lolit Solis, Sharmaine Arnaiz, Maureen Larrazabal, and Ai-Ai de las Alas among his loyal clients. He is credited with Kyla's pop-princess look. Former actresses Jenny Syquia and Rina Reyes have remained satisfied patrons, even after leaving showbiz. U.S.-based actress G Tongi, whenever she's in the country, still goes to Bambbi for beauty-care tips.
BAMBBI'S VISION AND MISSION as beautician to the stars go beyond what meets the eye:
- Update the stars on the latest trends in hairstyles and makeup. Take note, these "trends must match the image and personality of the star." Says Bambbi:"lt's not their obligation to check on the ins and the outs or kung ano ang uso ngayon, di ba? Kasi sa sobrang busy na ng schedule nila... So kami na 'yong pinaka-adviser nila na 'out na 'yong ganitong kulay, ganito na ang in!'" However, client trust is vital, he says, and you get that if you proved yourself the first time.
- Remind stars of their schedules for hair maintenance and other beauty checkups."Like si Kyla, very busy. Kulang na lang, kidnapin mo. 'Iha, kailangan mo na ng haircut, ang laki na ng roots mo.' Ganoon."
- Lookout for new make-up brands in the market, and experiment on which brand or makeup line is the best. Sometimes, Bambbi exchanges ideas with clients, whether from showbiz or not. He asks them, for instance, for suggestions on the color that would look best on a particular star.
- Establish a certain look for a newcomer, and continually define and upgrade that look to create variety. Bambbi cites singer Kyla: "Kami ang nagkulay ng buhok niya, kami nag-layer, kami nag-bob. Kami nag-light ng makeup niya, kami din nag-heavy. From day one, inayusan namin siya. Hanggang ngayon, inaalagaan namin siya."
- Make stars look gorgeous, regardless what state they're in. Impossible schedules, lack of sleep, and personal problems (mostly involving love life, or lack thereof) are among the problems that uglify even the fairest of the fair. This is when Bambbi's expertise is best tested. However, he likes to remind the stars that he can only do so much."There are stars who take for granted that they are stars. Di ba, it's your obligation to the public to always look good, to be at your best at all times? Kasi, tinitignan ka nila, tinitingala ka ng mga tao. Parang nadi-disillusioned kasi sila the moment na makita ka nila na you are not as pretty without make-up."