Vilma Santos and John Lloyd Cruz emerged as top winners in the recently concluded 26th PMPC Star Awards for Movies held last April 24 at the Henry Lee Irwin Theater of the Ateneo de Manila University in Quezon City.
The Star for All Seasons and the young Kapamilya drama actor took home the Movie Actress of the Year and Movie Actor of the Year trophies, respectively, for their performances in Star Cinema's In My Life.
Unfortunately, they were not able to grace the special occasion for personal reasons.
In My Life bagged the Movie Supporting Actor of the Year award—won by Luis Manzano—and the coveted Movie of the Year plum; Olivia Lamasan capped off the movie's impressive run by clinching the Movie Director of the Year award.
Former beauty queen Gloria Diaz edged out seasoned actress Gina Alajar, Heart Evangelista, Zsa Zsa Padilla, and Rhian Ramos to win as Movie Supporting Actress of the Year.
HONORING BOTH WORLDS. The Philippine Movie Press Club continues its tradition of recognizing independent film projects by classifying some of the awards given as either mainstream or digital.
Cesar Apolinario won as Digital Movie Director of the Year for his work in Puntod. The film was also named as Digital Movie of the Year, beating Astig, Ded Na Si Lolo, Dinig Sana Kita, and Dukot.
The other winners were:
- Mica Dela Cruz and JP Mesde, Movie Child Performer of the Year for T2 and Tulak
- Romalito Mallari, New Movie Actor of the Year for Dinig Sana Kita
- Barbie Forteza, New Movie Actress of the Year for Puntod
- Raymond Lee, Olivia Lamasan, and Senedy Que, Movie Original Screenplay of the Year for In My Life
- Jerry Gracio, Digital Movie Original Screenplay of the Year for Astig
- Charlie Peralta, Movie Cinematographer of the Year for In My Life
- Odyssey Flores, Digital Cinematographer of the Year for Lola
- Ditoy Aguila, Movie Sound Engineer of the Year for Ang Panday
- Theresa Vanessa De Leon, Movie Editor of the Year for Kimmy Dora
- Charliebebs Gohetia, Digital Movie Editor of the Year for Astig
- Richard Somes, Movie Production Designer of the Year for Ang Panday
- Brillante Mendoza, Digital Movie Production Designer of the Year for Lola
- Brian Cua, Movie Musical Scorer of the Year for Kimmy Dora
- Ronald De Asis and Mark Locsin, Digital Movie Sound Engineer of the Year for Dinig Sana Kita
- Former The Dawn guitarist Francis Reyes, Digital Movie Musical Scorer of the Year for Dinig Sana Kita
Asia's Songbird Regine Velasquez represented Ogie Alcasid who won Movie Original Theme Song of the Year for his composition and interpretation of "Tanging Ikaw," which was used for the movie Ang Panday.
The PMPC conferred the prestigious Ulirang Artista award to veteran actress Gina Pareño. Controversial National Artist recipient and graphic novelist Carlo J. Caparas became the first awardee of the Ulirang Alagad ng Pelikula sa Likod ng Kamera.
Winners of individual special awards were Bangs Garcia, Luis Manzano, Iza Calzado, Jericho Rosales, and Lorna Tolentino.
The star-studded affair was hosted Boy Abunda, Ruffa Gutierrez, and Lorna Tolentino. Toni Gonzaga and JC de Vera served as trivia hosts as they shared valuable facts on the history and evolution of the movie industry.
Celebrities who performed were Billy Crawford, Christian Bautista, Kyla, Jay R, Kris Lawrence, Bangs Garcia, Rochelle Pangilinan, Joross Gamboa, Rainier Castillo, Edgar Allan Guzman, Mariposa, Luningning, Milagring, Jericho Rosales and Bayang Barrios.
"Naging cliché na ang pagsasabing the 'movie industry is dying'. Pero habang may mga producers na sumusugal upang makalikha ng mga matitinong pelikula, mga tao sa likod ng kamera na nagpapahiram ng kanilang talento, mga artistang buong husay na nagbibigay buhay sa mga karakter na kanilang ginagampanan—kami sa PMPC ay naniniwalang hindi mamamatay ang industriya ng pelikula kailanman," PMPC President Melba Llanera said in her opening remarks.