One of the most iconic and influential star builders passed away earlier today, January 8, due to cardiac arrest.
German Moreno, aka Kuya Germs, wasn't in showbiz for over 50 years for nothing.
Sharon Cuneta, Gretchen Barretto, Lea Salonga, Jean Garcia, Ruffa Gutierrez, Aiko Melendez, Carmina Villarroel, Karla Estrada, Ian Veneracion, Billy Crawford, Piolo Pascual, and so many other stars would say he had been part of their successful careers in showbiz.
He is an industry legend, the Tatay/Papa of some of our favorite stars, and the one and only Master Showman!
For a time, people thought GMA stands for German Moreno Associates.
And that's because, even after his iconic shows That's Entertainment and GMA Supershow went off air, he remained visible on the Kapuso TV station.
To honor his colorful life and career, here are ten astounding facts about Kuya Germs.
1. He first worked for his aunt's taxi company and even became a sidewalk vendor, a waiter, and a barker when he was younger.
2. In the 1950s, he landed a job at the old Clover Theater in downtown Manila as janitor and curtain raiser, which led him to the world of entertainment.
"Ang reason ko lang kung bakit ako nagtrabaho sa theater, ay may suweldo na nga, nakakapanood pa nang libre. Simple lang naman, kuntento na ako dun," he said in an interview with The Philippine Star.
photo from pcssr.com
3. His first stage role was Jesus Christ for a Lenten presentation.
The role had no dialogue. His simple task was to lean against a cross.
He recalled in a previous interview with GMA,"Ang dami ko nang trabaho talaga.
"One time, yung director ng live show, nangailangan ng propsman na magro-roll ng telon.
"Naispatan ako, pinaghubad ako ng polo.
"Nung makita ang katawan ko na buto't balat, sinabihan ako ng, 'Perfect! Ikaw ang gagawin naming Jesus Christ."
4. Nora Aunor, his loyal friend and long-standing showbiz colleague, was the one who gave him the nickname, Kuya Germs.
photo from coffee table book: Kuya Germs: 50 Years in Showbiz
5. His friendship with Komiks writer Pablo Gomez helped him bag a role in one of the movies produced by Sampaguita Studios.
His first movie was Susan, Susay, Susie, which was topbilled by Susan Roces. He was a bit player.
His next movie was Dance-O-Rama. This time, he became the dance partner of Susan.
Kuya Germs was a good dancer.
6. Wearing flashy suits had become his trademark, and some of his blazers had stones and special sequins.
7. He collected clown figurines, but only the smiling clowns since he didn't want to see sad clowns.
In this episode of Tunay na Buhay, he gave the viewers a glimpse of his house and collections.
His penchant for collecting clowns started when co-actors and colleagues on the set of his breakout film Payaso gave him clown figurines.
8. The Master Showman was not choosy about food as long as there's soup on the set.
9. He had a crush on Dawn Zulueta.
He admitted this in an episode of GMA's documentary program, I-Witness.
He told Sandra Aguinaldo, "Yung mga panahon na ginagawa namin yung GMA Supershow, siyempre may puso ka rin na tumitibok kung minsan.
"Pero sa edad mo nahihiya ka rin naman, hindi naman nagkatuluyan."
10. He has an adopted son named Federico Moreno.
Federico is married to Shiela Magdayao, sister of Kapamilya stars Vina Morales and Shaina Magdayao.
They have children and one of them is Luis Gabriel Moreno, a national archery champion.
Federico described his father as so generous and kind.
"Lambingin mo lang, umo-oo na siya. So kapag siya naman ang naglambing, ibigay mo din."
photo from Federico Moreno' Facebook account