It's easy to be overwhelmed by the idea of adapting a Korean skincare routine.
We picture a shelf brimming with bottles of products that are all categorized to make our skin 'whiter' and 'shinier.'
Well, we can't blame you.
We always see K-pop idols and K-drama actresses flaunting their pearly white, almost glossy complexions, which makes us think that we'll all be pearly porcelain soon.
But, you don't need to think that way.
You can still embrace your golden Pinay skin while pampering yourself with Korean skincare finds.
You see, the reason why their skincare is mostly of the hydrating and brightening kind is because South Korea's climate is almost always freezing—their skin has an insane thirst for hydration.
And don't confuse the term 'brightening' with whitening.
This simply indicates that the active ingredients are meant to switch on your inner glow—an element responsible for the 'mukhang blooming' compliments.
So, if you're ready to take K-beauty seriously, you have to start by knowing the basics of Korean skincare.
To get you started, here are our product recommendations:
1. Do the first step of double-cleansing by using an oil-based cleanser to remove makeup and grime
TRY: Banila Co Clean It Zero Classic, P890, at Glorietta
2. Follow it up with a foam cleanser to remove dirt and sweat.
TRY: Tony Moly The Black Tea London Foam Cleanser, P728, at SM Megamall
3. Feed your skin with nutrients and antioxidants that can promote cellular turnover—a major factor in keeping your skin's youthful glow.
TRY: CosRX Snail Mucin Power Essence, P1,100, at SM Beauty and Althea Korea
4. Firm up fine lines and sagging skin in an instant with a sheet mask.
TRY: Leaders Insolution Wrinkle-Tox Skin Clinic Mask, P178, at Festival Mall and BeautyMNL
5. Lock in the hydration and strengthen the skin's barrier against harmful elements with a moisturizer that has the proper oil-water balance ratio.
TRY: Dear Klairs Rich Moist Soothing Cream, P1,212, at Althea Korea
For more K-beauty tips, check out this video from Charlotte Cho, the founder of SoKo Glam.
SoKo Glam is a prime shopping destination for all things Korean beauty.
Charlotte discusses the key concepts you need to know so you can apply it to your daily routine in the video below:
This story originally appeared on FEMALENETWORK.COM.
* Minor edits have been made by the Pep.ph editors.