Remember when RS Francisco talked about his friend Gretchen Barretto's pearls?
In an interview with PEP.ph (Philippine Entertainment Portal), he shared one of his banters with the actress:
"Parati kong sinasabi sa kanya, 'Girl, isang condominium na iyan na maganda.'
"Alam mo ang sagot niya? 'Masusuot ko ba ang condominium? E, di nadaganan ako!'"
That prompted us to research further about Gretchen's favorite accessories and their value, which depends on the size (13 to 16mm), skin purity (flawless, medium spotted, ad spotted), and luster (fire, excellent, and dull).
We made a quick trip to one of Jewelmer's branches, and learned the following:
1. A 12-mm pair of white pearl earrings has a price tag of $1,350 or PHP66,960.
2. The average cost of a pendant is around $4,600 or PHP228,160.
3. One strand of 13 to 16-mm white necklace has an average price of $64, 000 or PHP3,174,400.
Gretchen usually wears at least two strands so the amount is times two.
4. One big gold necklace strand can cost up to eight million pesos.
And being a big fan of pearls, a source told us that the actress has it in her pearl collection.
5. The most expensive color, however, is champagne.
She first fell in love with pearls when her daughter Dominique Cojuangco was just ten months old.
In one of her Instagram posts, she wrote, "My dada [husband Tony Boy Cojuangco] purchased 2 sets of necklaces & earrings in time for Dominique 1st birthday."
The 47-year-old star's collection includes necklaces, earrings, bracelets, and pendants in different shape: drop, oval, button, baroque, semi-baroque or circled, and round, which is the rarest.
Her Instagram feed had shown pearls in white, silver, creme rose, champagne, deep gold, and even multi-colored strands.