Boxing champ Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao will temporarily leave showbiz to concentrate on his training for his upcoming fight against Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico.
Although his 28-year-old opponent already started his training a few weeks ago, Pacman is confident that he will still have enough time to prepare for their November 14 bout at the MGM Grand Garden, Las Vegas, Nevada.
"Si Cotto, mag-iisang buwan na training. Ako, mag-i-start pa lang this week. So, may time pa naman, may panahon pa naman para maghanda," said Manny during the press conference for his newest endorsement, Head & Shoulders, held earlier this afternoon, September 2, at the Renaissance Hotel in Makati City. This is said to be his last press conference before he leaves for his training on September 9.
The Sports Illustrated's best pound-for-pound boxer then talked about his eight-week training that he usually does before a competition.
"Ako, kapag lumagpas ng eight weeks ang training ko, overtrained ako, medyo hindi maganda ang kundisyon ko pagdating sa fight. Pagdating naman ng less than eight weeks 'yong training ko, masama naman ang kundisyon ko. Kaya ang laging training ko is eight weeks before the fight. Nakita naman natin kung ano ang kundisyon ko," he said.
What kind of training will he do for his fight against Cotto?
"Itong style ni Cotto, pag-aaralan natin nang mabuti," replied Manny. "Kapag nagte-training tayo every day, every day din nating pag-aaralan ang style niya—kung ano ang dapat gawin, kung ano ang dapat gawing techiniques para sa fight."
When asked what would be his advantage against Cotto, the boxer-actor jested, "Siguro naka-Head & Shoulders ako, tanggal ang kuto! Joke!
"Siyempre, mabilis tayo. 'Yon ang susi doon, ang bilis natin ay magiging dahilan para may advantage tayo sa laban."
Manny also assured his followers that he will do his best during his training to win the WBC Diamond Championship. He stated, "Pinaghahandaan nang mabuti ang training ko, 'yong fight natin against Cotto. Sa training natin, walang problema, gagawin ko ang lahat ng aking makakaya."
SIGHTING WITH ARA MINA. Meanwhile, Manny could not get away from questions about the recent rumor involving him and sexy actress Ara Mina again. (Click here to read related article.)
It was reported last week that he and his former leading lady in the movie Anak ng Kumander (2008) were seen together at the Pan Pacific Hotel in Malate, Manila.
Ara had already denied this issue by arguing, "Nakakaloka naman, sa ano pa, in public pa? Kung magkikita kayo, dapat hindi in public! Nakakaloka, di ba?"
Pacquiao, on the other hand, just laughed off the issue and said, "Wala. Hayaan mo sila. Hindi totoo 'yon!"