PEP Ka-Loveteam Quiz Banner
×

ELECTION WATCH: Vilma Santos and Ralph Recto out of Lakas-Kampi-CMD, now supporting Noynoy-Mar tandem

The couple says they believe the Noynoy-Mar tandem can unite the nation.
by Mark Angelo Ching
Published Nov 17, 2009
Former Senator Ralph Recto (left) and Batangas Governor Vilma Santos are no longer running under the Arroyo administration's Lakas-Kampi-CMD, choosing instead to join the Aquino-Roxas bandwagon.

Batangas Governor Vilma Santos and her husband, former Senator Ralph Recto, are no longer supporting Defense Secretary Gilbert Teodoro, administration party Lakas-Kampi-CMD's main man for the presidential elections next year.

Instead, the two are the newest members of the Liberal Party, the political party that will carry the Noynoy Aquino-Mar Roxas tandem. Recto, who lost his bid for senator in 2007 when he ran under Lakas-Kampi, is joining LP's senatorial slate. Gov. Vilma Santos will run for re-election.

In an interview with a local newspaper, Vilma said the decision to shift parties was "purely political." She also expressed belief that the Aquino-Roxas tandem will "unite our nation."

"Our country needs to be inspired... If our people are inspired, they will willingly support and follow the leaders' vision," she said.

Previously, Vilma refused the ruling coalition's proposal for her to run as Teodoro's running mate. (CLICK HERE to read related story.)

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓

Recto, on the other hand, is honoring his political lineage.

"Our families go back a long way. My grandfather [Claro M. Recto] and Noynoy's grandfather [Benigno Aquino Sr.] were together during the administration of President [Jose] Laurel. In 1946, my father was elected in the Senate under the administration of Manuel Roxas, grandfather of Senator Mar," the former head of the National Economic and Development Authority told ANC.

The couple's move to the Liberal Party is the latest in a series of exits by top Arroyo allies from Lakas-Kampi CMD. An estimated 125 politicians, composed mostly of local officials, have already defected from the ruling party, including Cavite Governor Erineo "Ayong" Maliksi, Manila Mayor Alfredo Lim, Cebu Representative Antonio Cuenco, and actor Cesar Montano, who lost his senatorial bid under Lakas-Kampi last 2007.

The Rectos' announcement came days after Edu Manzano, Vilma's former husband, was declared as Teodoro's running mate. Their son, actor and TV host Luis Manzano, has not yet expressed whom he would endorse.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓
Read Next
PEP Live
Featured
Latest Stories
Trending in Summit Media Network

Featured Searches:

Read the Story →
Former Senator Ralph Recto (left) and Batangas Governor Vilma Santos are no longer running under the Arroyo administration's Lakas-Kampi-CMD, choosing instead to join the Aquino-Roxas bandwagon.
  • This article was created by . Edits have been made by the PEP.ph editors.
    Poll

    View Results
    Total Votes: 12,184
  • 50%
  • View Results