HOLLYWOOD UPDATES: Brangelina donates to charity; Leonardo DiCaprio gets mid-air scare

(Top) Celebrity couple Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, and superstar Leonardo DiCaprio; (bottom) royal couple Kate Middleton and Prince William, and actor Johnny Depp.


BRAD PITT and ANGELINA JOLIE have donated $150,000 to a children's charity.

The couple gave the sum to SOS Children's Villages, USA—which supports adoptive families and highlights the needs of children without parental care—in recognition of National Adoption Day, through their Jolie-Pitt Foundation.

Dr. Heath Paul, CEO of SOS Children's Villages, USA, said: "I am truly thankful that Angelina and Brad understand the power of family—the kind of stable family that SOS holds as an essential part of healthy child development.

"Together, Angelina and Brad have been eye-witnesses to the great work of SOS Children's Villages in Ethiopia, Jordan, a Darfur refugee camp in Chad and Haiti. Angelina and Brad know that children's need for a family is universal."

The donation from the couple—who have adopted three children: Maddox, nine; Pax, six; and Zahara, five; as well as three other kids, Shiloh, four; and two-year-old twins Knox and Vivienne—will provide the long-term financial support needed for a family of four foster children in one of the U.S. SOS Children's Villages.

Last year, the couple donated $100,000 to two of the organization's centers in Florida and Illinois after being impressed by their work.

Angelina said of the generous gift: "We have seen firsthand the remarkable job SOS does to raise orphaned and abandoned children and keep families together. No one 'ages out' of an SOS Village: vocational training, advanced education, living assistance and moral support are there forever."

The SOS Villages house over 200 children and last Christmas Brad insisted it was important to show gratitude for the work the organisation does.

He said: "In this holiday season, many of us take for granted that we are surrounded by loving family members. The poor outcomes for foster children indicate that we must do a much better job of supporting them."

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

It was revealed last year Brad and Angelina donated $6.8 million to charity in 2008 after raising the money through their Jolie-Pitt Foundation.

LEONARDO DICAPRIO was involved in a mid-air scare when the plane he was flying on was forced to make an emergency landing on Sunday (November 21).

The Inception actor was on a commercial flight to Moscow, Russia, when one of the aircraft's engines shut down, forcing the plane to return to JFK International Airport in New York City.

A statement released by the 36-year-old actor said he "wishes to commend the actions of the pilot and flight crew in bringing the plane to a safe landing."

The Hollywood star was among 193 passengers and 11 crew members on the Delta Air Lines 767 flight which reported trouble soon after take-off. It returned to the departure airport after dumping fuel over the Atlantic Ocean.

Crew initially reported an engine fire but this was ruled out upon landing.

Despite the scare, Leonardo happily signed autographs for airline staff when the aircraft had safely touched down in New York.

A fellow passenger told UsMagazine.com: "Leonardo signed autographs for all the crew members when they landed."

It is believed the 36-year-old actor was travelling to Russia to attend the Tiger Summit—a four-day meeting to discuss ways to prevent the extinction of tigers, held by Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin—in St. Petersburg when the incident occurred.

Passengers were put onto a later flight to Moscow on Sunday night.

PRINCE WILLIAM and KATE MIDDLETON are hoping to marry in April.

The couple have reportedly put forward a possible date of April 28 for their nuptials and are waiting for it to be cleared by Downing Street and the royal family.

An announcement is now expected at the beginning of next week.

However, insiders have said the Liberal Democratic Party might force the date to be scrapped amid fears a ceremony at the end of April would infringe on coverage of the voting system referendum three days later on May 1.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Royal aides have revealed the couple who have been dating for almost eight years are both desperate to get the wedding underway.

One royal insider told Britain's Daily Mail newspaper: "Kate and William both view this process rather like tooth extraction. They want to get back to a life of relative normality as soon as possible to 'get it over with and get back to our quiet life', which is sweet but unrealistic."

Another source added: "They know what they want."

The wedding is expected to be on a weekday, which will allow Prime Minister David Cameron to give the country a bank holiday and allow everyone to join in the national celebration.

JOHNNY DEPP insisted on a lavish £1 million trailer on the set of his latest movie.

The 47-year-old actor was reportedly unhappy with his portable dressing room on the set of Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides—which wrapped last week—and was given the huge sum to pay for the work of an interior designer, who created a Moroccan-themed chill out area for the star to relax in between takes.

A source told the Daily Star newspaper: "He managed to get the producers and director to give him a stack of cash.

"Johnny got his own personal interior designer who was given carte blanche to go wild on expensive antiques and hand-woven rugs.

"Johnny wanted the perfect chill-out area full of Moroccan lamps, cushions, mirrors and mosaic tiles.

"The crew were shocked he was given such a big budget for his trailer, but he is the star of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise and what Johnny wants, Johnny gets.

"He has very quirky tastes so his private backstage area was really something."

While Johnny reportedly splashed out on a luxury trailer, he also looked after the needs of the crew on the swashbuckling blockbuster, spending over £40,000 on coats to keep them warm.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Last month, the actor bought 500 waterproof hiking jackets costing £80 each after becoming worried workers on set were suffering in the cold weather.

CHARLIE SHEEN is suing the porn star who was with him when he smashed up a New York hotel room last month.

The incident on the night of October 26 saw Christina Walsh—who performs under the name Capri Anderson, and was being paid $3,500 as an escort by the Two And A Half Men star—lock herself in the bathroom of the Plaza Hotel in New York while Charlie went on a rampage, causing around $7,000 of damage to the room.

She filed a complaint against the actor on Monday (November 22) with the New York Police Department, accusing the star of harassment in the second degree.

She is also said to be suing him for battery and false imprisonment, claiming in TV interviews yesterday that Charlie threw a lamp at her, used offensive language—calling her a "w***e" and using racial slurs—and put his hands around her throat.

She told ABC News: "He definitely was growing more intense as the night grew and went on. It's hard to say being that it was my first time hanging out with him if it was normal of his everyday behavior or not. He seemed like a very egotistical person."

Charlie is, however, now suing Christina, 22, for extortion, with a case filed at Los Angeles County Superior Court stating that Christina threatened "to embarrass him and attempt to damage his career by going to the media with her false tale" and that she demanded at least "one million dollars".

It also denies her allegations, claiming the 45-year-old actor did not "assault, batter or threaten" her and she was not held against her will. The lawsuit further goes on to claim she stole his $165,000 Patek Philippe watch.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Following the X-rated actress' claims on television, Charlie's lawyer Yale Galanter said: "Ms. Capri never made any allegation of wrongful conduct on the part of Mr. Sheen the night of the incident. She has posted on her website that she was 'fine' after the incident but if you wanted to see more of her enter the web site for money.

"We will defend this lawsuit vigorously and will never pay her a dime. These allegations against Mr. Sheen are completely false, and are a blatant attempt to cash in on his celebrity."

Christina also claims the day after the ordeal she was contacted by Charlie via text message and offered $20,000 for her silence.

She said: "He apologized for his behavior and for the entire evening, I guess. The apology was very simple."


WE RECOMMEND


FROM THE SUMMIT MEDIA NETWORK


SPONSORED CONTENT


COMMENTS

Loading comments

THIS JUST IN