International music artist Sting has moved the venue of his Back To Bass concert tour in Manila from SM Mall of Asia Arena (MOAA) to Smart-Araneta Coliseum.
An announcement posted on his official website on October 19 said that the concert will still push through on December 9, Sunday, but will be held in a different venue.
The announcement also urges those who have previously purchased tickets to claim their replacement tickets at a special window at the coliseum’s ticketing booth beginning October 25.
Ticket replacements will be honored until the day of the concert, but requests for refund will only be entertained at SM Tickets outlets until November 18.
REASON BEHIND THE SWITCH. This sudden move to switch venues came as a surprise to many, including the management of SM Mall of Asia Arena.
In their official statement sent out to media on October 19, MOAA officials reiterated that the decision did not come from them, but rather from Sting’s camp.
“The Mall of Asia Arena management, with its commitment in providing its patrons with choice entertainment, has exhausted all measures for the show to push through.
“However, we recognize and respect the fact that the show’s cancellation is the artist’s own decision,” the statement said.
In an attached news release, it was revealed that Sting’s camp decided upon the change after receiving a letter of plea from a certain Cheryl L. Daytec-Yangot.
Daytec-Yangot was said to have posted this message via Facebook: “I wrote a letter to Sting’s agents appealing that they abandon SM Mall of Asia Arena as the venue for the musician’s December concert.
“Sting, a voice of the oppressed, cannot sing in the halls of an oppressor!”
Daytec-Yangot was identified as a former lead counsel of Project Save 182, an environmentalist group that strongly disapproved the removal of 182 trees on a Baguio City hill to give way for the expansion of SM City Baguio mall.
The news release further noted that MOAA representatives have appealed to Sting to keep the concert in their venue—insisting that they have nothing to do with the issue despite their company’s relation to the Baguio mall.
Sting has yet to release an official statement regarding this matter.
However, concert promoters Ovation Productions and Live Nation Global Touring have already expressed their apology for any inconvenience through the artist’s official website.