Melanie Griffith and Antonio Banderas reportedly split up "several months" ago.
The 56-year-old actress filed for divorce from her spouse Friday, June 6, after 18 years of marriage.
It is believed the couple have been separated for a while and were waiting for the right time to announce the break up.
A source told the MailOnline: "They have not been happy for a long time and they have taken a lot of breaks already so their estrangement is nothing new.
"They wanted to wait till the timing was right to announce their divorce. It’s not a rash decision."
The couple ended their relationship amicably, but it is believed their conflicting schedules contributed to the split.
In a joint statement released this evening, Melanie and Antonio, 53, said: "We have thoughtfully and consensually decided to finalize our almost twenty years marriage in a loving and friendly manner honoring and respecting each other, our family and friends and the beautiful time we have spent together."
The Working Girl star cited irreconcilable differences as the reason behind their divorce.
Melanie is reportedly asking for child support and sole physical and joint legal custody of their 17-year-old daughter Stella.
Melanie is also asking for spousal support, according to legal documents filed by her attorney Laura Wasser.
Rumors began to swirl earlier this year that the duo’s relationship had hit the rocks, but they both denied there were any issues at the time.
It is believed the split is amicable, but their divorce could turn complicated when it comes to dividing up property as they own a number of homes in the US and Spain.
The Hollywood couple first got together after meeting on the set of the 1995 film Two Much, which led to Antonio’s divorce from Ana Leza.
The pair got married in a low key ceremony in London, England, in 1996, just one month after Antonio, 53, and Ana’s divorce was finalized.
Meanwhile, this will be Melanie’s fourth divorce following her failed relationships with Don Johnson, whom she married twice, and Steve Bauer.