Zayn Malik feels "at peace" after quitting One Direction.
The 22-year-old singer, who announced he was leaving the group on Wednesday, March 25, has reportedly assured friends there is "no bad blood" between him and his former bandmates— Liam Payne, Harry Styles, Niall Horan and Louis Tomlinson.
A source close to the British heartthrob claims he said: "I've made my decision, and I'm at peace with it.
"I don't want to live a life where everything I do is put on the internet and dissected.
"I don't want to be photographed every second. I want to disappear for a while. I want to live a normal life. I'm going to be happier.
"There's no bad blood between me and the boys, though—it's nothing to do with them and I wish them all the best."
The star first contemplated leaving the group while they were rehearsing for their current On the Road Again world tour earlier this year, but the other members were "devastated" when he told them he wouldn't be returning after taking time off due to stress last week.
The insider told the Daily Mirror newspaper: "Zayn was adamant that this is it. At the start of the year, during rehearsals, he didn't want to be there anymore.
"But then once the tour got going he really enjoyed himself.
"But ultimately, the fame side was just too much for him.
"He had a few days to rest and everyone thought he'd rejoin the band.
"But as the South Africa dates approached, he knew his heart would not be in it.
"He had to call the boys and let them know. They were devastated but really understanding."
Zayn also consulted his family and fiancée Perrie Edwards before confirming his departure.
The source said: "He made this decision with the full support of his family and Perrie, who are with him."