Sam Milby officially signed a two-picture contract with Regal Entertainment, which was held at Mother Lily Monteverde’s residence in Valencia, Quezon City, earlier this afternoon, May 15.
At the press conference, the Kapamilya actor revealed that he was supposed to do a movie under Regal last year, but it didn’t push through due to a conflict with his schedule.
But he maintained that it’s all about perfect timing, especially because he’s slated to be paired with 2014 Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) Best Actress Jennylyn Mercado via the movie Prenup, under Regal Films.
“Mabuti naman ngayon matutuloy na talaga. It is now under contract.
“Thank you to Mother Lily [Monteverde] and thank you to Regal for the opportunity to work with you guys.
“It’s my tenth anniversary in showbiz, so malaking opportunity ito para sa akin to work with a lot of people that I’ve never been able to work with [before].
“So, I’m very excited,” he told the entertainment press right after his contract signing.
Coming from two different TV networks, Sam admitted that he never really had the chance to meet Jennylyn prior to the few story conferences they’ve attended for their upcoming project.
“I just ran into her a few times before. Pero yung nag-usap kami, not really.
“This is our first time getting to know [each other] more.
“I don’t really know much about her,” he said.
Asked about his first impression of the Kapuso actress, Sam admitted that he really finds her attractive.
“She’s very beautiful. Ang bait, ang ganda [niya].
“I’m excited to work with her. She’s one of the best actresses for sure.
“Sa script pa lang, I think this is a movie na magsa-shine sa acting niya.
“Inaayos pa yung script ng konti, but it’s getting nicer.
"It’s a romantic comedy," he added.
Regal Films producer Roselle Monteverde—who graced the contract signing with her mom and Regal Films matriarch Lily Monteverde—gave a few hints about what the moviegoers will expect from the tandem of Sam and Jennylyn.
"First time nilang magkikita sa movie sa eroplano. Riot agad ang eksena nila sa loob ng eroplano. Nakakatuwa," she stated.
NO CONFLICT WITH STAR CINEMA. Although Sam is an exclusive Kapamilya star, he clarified that there’s no conflict of interest between his decision to do a project with Regal Films and his home network’s film production arm, Star Cinema.
Sam explained, “I did [ask for permission].
“Actually, before there was a movie with Regal na hindi natuloy. It was supposed to be last year.
“Nagpaalam na ako nun. And I’m happy that they were able to give me permission.
“And it’s not the first time that I’m doing a movie na hindi Star Cinema.
“I did three indie movies din—Cul de Sac, Death March na nag-Cannes Film Festival, and Third World Happy.
“Then there’s The Gifted, which is under Viva Films.”
Sam also stressed that he remains to be in good standing with ABS-CBN even though he’s not that visible on TV these days.
“Yes, I’m still with Star Magic and ABS-CBN, of course.
“Actually, may teleserye akong gagawin later this year.
“Hindi ko puwede sabihin kung sino kasama.
“Siguro July or August magsisimula yung taping.”
ABORTED MOVIES. Incidentally, Sam was supposed to topbill Ex With Benefits opposite Coleen Garcia and Meg Imperial under the production of Skylight Films (production outfit of ABS-CBN for indie films) and Viva Films.
The Kapamilya actor already did five shooting days for Ex With Benefits, but he was later replaced by Derek Ramsay because Sam left for U.S.
“I really don’t know [why the project didn’t work out].
“I know that I was replaced.
“I ended up leaving for two and a half months.
"But I really don’t know who replaced me,” Sam stated.
When told that it was Derek who got the part, an entertainment reporter commented that it’s the second time the Kapatid actor landed a lead role that was originally intended for Sam.
It would be recalled that Sam was initially being eyed to play the male lead in the MMFF entry English Only Please late last year.
To which Sam replied, “The first time was a different situation.
“I didn’t know at first that I was the first choice before.
"But, yeah, that’s what I’ve been hearing, that I’m the first choice for English Only Please.
“I think it was more of a schedule problem din.
“I think that’s the time when I was shooting The Gifted. I’m not really sure what happened.
“But I’m really happy the movie did really well.
“Jennylyn won Best Actress. Actually, si Derek din nanalo ng Best Actor sa MMFF, so I’m happy it turned out that way.”
As for Ex With Benefits, Sam clarified that he didn’t back out from the project.
“Actually, that was a project that I really enjoyed reading the script.
“And I think it would really do well.
“But yeah, I needed to leave and they needed to start shooting from my understanding.
"They need to get it done. So it’s okay," he maintained.
So it’s not because he didn’t like the project?
“I like the project. It was a good project.
“But yeah, you win some, you lose some. That’s life.
“Now I have this [Prenup]. This is a big blessing.
"I’m working with the Best Actress!" he beamed.