20th Century Fox through its local (Phils.) distributor Warner Bros. would like to inform the public that CD/DVD and online copies of X-Men Origins: Wolverine movie which was recently leaked on the Internet is an incomplete and very rough version.
Fox Co-Chairman Tom Rothman issued an official statement ensuring the fans and the moviegoing public that the leaked version is indeed an early rough cut, with temporary sound and music and a darker appearance than the finished footage.
Rothman's statement notes that: "The version that went out is unfinished. It's about 10 minutes shorter, doesn't have key scenes, it wasn't edited, and none of the effects shots were in any remotely final form. It's a complete misrepresentation of the film and is deeply unfair to the people who have worked on it for years."
Further, Rothman stresses that "We, like everybody, thought our system was secure. Just like I'm sure there are lots of banks that get robbed that thought their vault was safe. We thought the post-production pipeline was secure at every juncture. But, obviously, it's self-evident that it wasn't. I have a high level of confidence we'll find out where the lapse in security was and we'll bring the perpetrators to justice."
Rothman is touting a bunch of footage shot in Canada earlier this year that he says is not even included in the version online. And he insists that both he and Hugh Jackman have vowed to stop at nothing to get the movie out to as many fans as possible.
"Hugh was heartbroken and hurt when he found out. He's lived with this thing for 10 years. But he's also a man and knows that life isn't fair, and is more determined than ever," Rothman says. "Hugh and I exchanged e-mails: Basically, we're not going to let the bastards win. But we didn't use the word ‘bastards.' That's a slightly sanitized version."
Likewise, fans and supporters of the movie in the Philippines have affirmed that the leaked version is more like watching behind-the-scenes of X-Men Origins: Wolverine. It is worthy to note that those who have come in possession of the unfinished version vowed that they will still definitely see it in the big screen when it opens April 30 (Thursday, in Philippine theaters) since most of the scenes have unfinished, rough 3D special effects, blank frames, dull moments due to muted speaking lines and sound effects and the appearance of blue dots in every scene from start to end.
X-Men Origins: Wolverine will open in theaters across the Philippines on April 30, Thursday, from 20th Century Fox to be distributed by Warner Bros.
PEP Live