"Iinom ka lang, gaganda ka pa."
What Marian Rivera told PEP.ph (Philippine Entertainment Portal) at the launch of her latest endorsement, Belo Collagen Powder Drink, is partly a fact.
Why has collagen—whether in capsule, cream, mask, powder—become all the rage in the beauty market these days?
Here are 10 things you should know…
1. Next to water, it is the "most abundant substance" in our body.
It actually makes up 75% of our skin! But by the time you turn 40, it decreases to 40%.
Why? Sun, pollution, bad eating habits, and smoking weaken the collagen bundles, which help makes the skin plump. When this happens, the fibroblasts—the cell that creates collagen—become “lazy and they die,” as Dra. Vicki Belo put it.
2. The fastest way to get our body absorb this is when it’s "hydrolyzed."
Cristalle Belo further explained, “When you say hydrolyzed, it’s already broken down into smaller pieces. Otherwise, lalabas lang siya sa katawan mo. Hindi siya maa-absorb sa loob.”
3. The best time to drink it is with an empty stomach, first thing in the morning.
Cristalle said, “Para yun yung i-absorb. Kasi kung hindi, lumalaban siya with food. Kasi parang “Ano’ng una kong ida-digest? Food ba or collagen?”
4. Belo’s Collagen Powder Drink, priced at PHP114 per sachet, can be drunk with coffee, tea, or even soup daily. If your age is over 40, it’s best to drink it twice.
5. The result, according to the FDA (Food and Drugs Administration)-approved third-party dermatologist Dra. Nenita Alberto, in six weeks, the fine lines are gone. Eventually, Cristalle said, “firmer ang skin, wrinkles nawawala, and ang added benefit is may whitening component.”
6. Collagen treatment for the face also helps stimulate production, and tightens the skin.
OTHER SKIN TIPS. Other than collagen, the following can be part of our regular routine.
1. Use of the Kojic soap.
Cristalle advised getting the brands with Tranaxemic Acid.
“Nakita namin with our clinical test, it is 64% better…As a matter of fact, puwede siyang gamitin not only sa body pero sa face din. It’s a soap bar. “
2. Going to their dermatologist regularly.
“Magpa-cleaning sila kasi kailangan tanggalin lahat ng oiliness. Oil is actually our number one competition. 'Di natin friend ang oil.
“Ang oil, nakakatanda din pag masyadong madaming oil sa skin.
“So what you have to do, you go to your dermatologist. I-extract lahat ng pimples and white heads, and on top of that, you do different services.”
She mentioned “power peel,” which she said, is “more hygienic than diamond peel.”
3. Putting on sunblock.
“Sabi nga ni mommy, ‘Sunblock a day keeps the wrinkles away.’ Kasi usually, we resort to anti-aging product?
“Pero bakit ka pa maghihintay na mag-anti-aging product ka?
“Dapat as early as you are a teenager, or 20 years old, dapat nagsa-sunblock ka araw-araw because sunblock is the number one anti-aging product.
“The sun was the one that makes us older. Lahat ng skin problems natin, most of it, nanggagaling sa sun.”